𝘅𝘅𝗶 | 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗲'𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗼𝗿𝘆

Harry and Ron were very angry at Hermione

Harry and Ron were very angry at Hermione. Gwen, too, felt that it was unfair to confiscate the whole broom, but she understood where Hermione had been coming from. She couldn't deny that the thought hadn't been one of the first things that crossed her mind.

  Hermione spent more time avoiding the common room and would disappear off to the library for long hours as the New Year approached. Gwen joined her, not liking that she was alone, and also not enjoying Harry and Ron angrily saying nasty things behind Hermione's back.

  Classes were due to start again, and Hermione had finished all of her homework and was completing extra things for credit. Gwen was still struggling to understand most of her Muggle Studies work. She couldn't understand how Muggles had developed so much without magic.

  'But I don't understand,' she was saying to Hermione on New Years' Day. 'How is it that these tiny wires make something heat up and cook through? Where's the fires?'

  They were sitting in a small nook by a window, the cold chill from outside forcing its way through the window panes, yet the fire beside them was roasting their feet. Hermione explained to Gwen, in the simplest of terms, the process of Electricity and how metal conducts heat, which then led into Hermione explaining a scientist from the Second Muggle War named Oppenheimer who had created a Nuclear Bomb.

  It was all foreign to Gwen, but she found it fascinating just how seriously advanced Muggles were.

  Maybe that was why some Pure-Bloods hated them so much.

  'How are you coming along with your Defence Against the Dark Arts?' Hermione said, having finished her speech on Nuclear Physics.

  'I'm mostly done,' Gwen said, shifting aside her many pieces of parchment for their most recent homework set by Professor Lupin. 'I just need to write the finishing paragraph.' She paused, rereading her work. 'Do you think Professor Lupin's OK?' She said eventually.

  Hermione looked up. 'What do you mean?'

  'Well, he goes missing almost monthly. He gets sick every three weeks or so,' Gwen said. 'Hermione, you're the smartest person I know, there's no way you haven't noticed.'

  Hermione looked uncomfortable. She opened her mouth, thought better of it, then went to speak again. 'I... I mean... OK, did you... you wrote Professor Snape's essay, didn't you?'

  Gwen nodded.

  'Did you not... notice anything? Don't you think there may have been a reason... why he set that essay?'

  Gwen did not want to think about it. She had specifically chosen to not to. She had had her own inkling, but had thought herself purely reaching. She didn't answer.