𝘅𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗲'𝘀 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁

Gwen's eyes opened with a snap

Gwen's eyes opened with a snap. She couldn't move, she felt she was bound to whatever she was lying on. She could hear distant voices. Her eyes moved furiously, and suddenly she was no longer bound. She could move, but her limbs felt incredibly heavy.

  She was in the dark hospital wing. On the bed beside her was Harry, his eyelids twitching. On the other side of Harry was Hermione, her eyes wide open, staring, as though petrified. On the far end of the hospital wing, Madame Pomfrey was leaning over a bed which contained Ron.

  She listened as best she could, to whoever was speaking. With a jolt, she recognised Snape's drawling voice, claiming that Sirius Black had placed a Confundus Charm on her, Gwen, Harry, Ron and Hermione. With another jolt, she recognised the Minister for Magic, promising Snape and Order of Merlin, Second Class.

  'What amazes me most is the behaviour of the Dementors... you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?'

  'No, Minister. By the time I had come round they were heading back to their positions at the entrances...'

  Madame Pomfrey came walking briskly up the dark ward to Harry's bed. His eyes snapped open.

  'Ah, you're awake,' she said briskly. She was carrying the largest block of chocolate that Gwen had ever seen in her life. She placed the chocolate on Harry's bedside table and began breaking it apart with a small hammer.

  'How's Ron?' Gwen, Harry and Hermione said together.

  'He'll live,' said Madame Pomfrey grimly. 'As for you three... you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied that you're-- Potter, what do you think you're doing?'

  Harry had sat up, was putting his glasses back on and picking up his wand.

  'I need to see the Headmaster,' he said.

  'Potter,' said Madame Pomfrey soothingly. 'It's alright. They've got Black. He's locked away upstairs. The Dementors will be performing the Kiss any moment now--'

  'WHAT?'

  Harry jumped out of bed. Gwen and Hermione had done the same. But Harry's shout had been heard outside, where Snape and Fudge had been talking. The two wizards entered the ward.

  'Harry, Harry, what's this?' said Fudge, looking agitated. 'You should be in bed-- has he had any chocolate?'

  'Minister, listen!' Harry said. 'Sirius Black's innocent! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death! We saw him tonight! You can't let the Dementors do that thing to Sirius, he's--'

  But Fudge was shaking his head with a small smile on his face.

  'Harry, Harry, you're very confused, you've been through a dreadful ordeal, lie back down now, we've got everything under control...'

  'YOU HAVEN'T!' Harry yelled. 'YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG MAN!'

  'Minister, listen, please,' said Gwen. She and Hermione were now at Harry's side. 'We all saw him, it was Ron's rat, he's an Animagus, Pettigrew, I mean...'