𝗶𝘅 | 𝗯𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗯𝗲𝗮𝗸

At lunch after Transfigurations, Ron was still muttering about the Grim

'Ron, cheer up,' Hermione said, pushing a dish of roast potatoes towards him. 'You heard what Professor McGonagall said.' Ron spooned some potatoes onto his plate and picked up his fork, but didn't start,

'Harry,' he said seriously, 'you haven't seen a great black dog anywhere, have you?

'Yeah, I have,' Harry said. 'I saw one the night I left the Dursleys.'

Ron's fork clattered onto his plate.

'Probably a stray,' said Hermione calmly.

'That's what I said,' Gwen said.

Ron looked at the girls as though they had both gone mad.

'Hermione, Gwen-- if Harry's seen a Grim-- that's-- that's bad,' he said. 'My-- my Uncle Bilius saw one and-- and he died twenty four hours later!'

'It's been a lot longer than twenty four hours, Ron,' said Gwen.

'Exactly,' said Hermione. 'Your Uncle Bilius was probably a coincidence.' She poured herself and Gwen some pumpkin juice.

'You don't know what you're talking about!' said Ron angrily. 'Grims scare the living daylights out of most wizards!'

'There you are then,' said Hermione. 'They see the Grim and die of fright. The Grim's not an omen, it's the cause of death! Harry's still with us because he's not stupid enough to see one and think, right, well, I'd better pop my clogs then!'

Ron mouthed wordlessly at Hermione, who continued to eat her food as though they hadn't even spoken. Gwen had an idea, seeing her brother Edward walk into the Great Hall. She hadn't seen him since she'd left for Diagon Alley, but she knew he had taken Divination.

'Hold on, Ron,' she said, then leapt from her place at Gryffindor table to catch up with her oldest brother.

'Eddie!' She called. He looked up, his facing lighting up when he saw her.

'Hi, Gwen, how are you?' he said.

'Alright. Eddie, can you come speak to Ron, please? We've just had our first Divination class and--'

Eddie grinned. 'Oh, right. Is someone dying?'

Gwen smiled sheepishly and nodded.

He joined her back at the Gryffindor table, greeting her friends.

'So who's dying?'

'Me,' said Harry, a lot calmer than he had been when he'd answered Professor McGonagall.

Eddie smiled. 'Yeah, Professor Trelawney does that a lot. She predicted Leah Cartwright in my first class, she's still kicking it.' He pointed to a red haired seventh year Ravenclaw girl. 'Then when Felix took Divination, she predicted it would be Ciara Murphy, and Ciara's still here. She dropped it right after that, though.'