𝘅𝗶𝗶 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘂𝗻𝘀𝗲𝗲𝗻

Ron was still in a bad mood with Hermione the next day

Ron was still in a bad mood with Hermione the next day. He barely talked to her through Herbology, and in the end, he and Harry and Gwen and Hermione had to split off into two separate pairs when they were working on the Puffapod.

  'How's Scabbers?' Hermione asked timidly, glancing across at Ron as they stripped the fat pink pods from the plants and emptied the shining beans into the wooden pail.

  'Hiding at the bottom of my bed, shaking,' said Ron angrily, knocking his pail over and scattering beans over the Greenhouse floor.

  'Careful, Weasley, careful!' cried professor Sprout as the beans burst into bloom before their very eyes.

  Hermione looked to Gwen, who shrugged helplessly. Both Gwen and Harry felt completely stuck in the middle, unsure how to play mediator.

  After Herbology, they had Transfigurations, and Harry told them that he would ask Professor McGonagall about Hogsmeade.

  When they joined the queue outside the classroom, Ron and Gwen helping Harry on how to argue his case while Hermione looked on disapprovingly, they realised that something was happening at the front of the line.

  Lavender Brown was crying. Parvati had her arm around her, speaking to Clara, Seamus and Dean in a very serious tone.

  'What's wrong, Lavender?' Gwen asked as she, Harry, Ron and Hermione went to join the group.

  'She got a letter from home this morning,' Parvati whispered. 'It's her rabbit, Binky. He's been killed by a fox.'

  'Oh, I'm sorry, Lavender,' Hermione said.

  'I should have known!' Lavender wailed tragically. 'You know what day it is?'

  'Er--'

  'The sixteenth of October! "That thing you're dreading, it will happen on the sixteenth of October"! Remember? She was right, she was right!'

  The whole class was gathered around Lavender now. Seamus shook his head seriously. Gwen reached out, squeezing Lavender's hand comfortingly. Hermione hesitated, then she said, 'You-- you were dreading Binky being killed by a fox?'

  'Well, not necessarily a fox,' Lavender said, looking up at Hermione with puffy eyes, 'but I was obviously dreading him dying, wasn't I?'

  'Oh,' said Hermione. She paused again, then-- 'Was Binky an old rabbit?'

  'N-no!' sobbed Lavender. 'He- He was only a baby!'

  Parvati tightened her arm around Lavender's shoulders.

  'But then why would you dread him dying?'

  Parvati glared at Hermione. Gwen bit her lip, thinking that this was not the time for Hermione to start being, well, Hermione.