𝘅𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗵𝗼𝗴𝘀𝗺𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲

The village of Hogsmeade was beautiful

The village of Hogsmeade was beautiful. It was small, with windy cobbled streets and thatched-roofed buildings. The high street was lined with shops and pubs and restaurants and bustled with students and witches and wizards dressed in old fashioned robes who, Gwen assumed, were locals. As soon as she stepped out of the carriage, all thoughts of anything that bothered her flew from her mind, and she was taking in her surroundings.

  'Oh, it's amazing isn't it?' Hermione gasped.

  'Wow,' said Ron.

  'I know,' said Gwen.

  As they wandered down the high street, they noticed that in the trees, candles floated, lighting the trees in a warm, orange glow. The shops were spilling with students and, upon request by Ron, they went into Honeydukes first. Much like the other shops in the village, this too was teeming with students. They came across Neville, Seamus and Dean, who were crowded around a table by the entrance of the shop which had a selection of free fudge samples. As though sensing their presence, three chunks of fudge floated over to Gwen, Ron and Hermione. They ate it, and it was one of the most delicious sweets Gwen had ever tried.

  'We should get one for Harry,' she said, and, almost hearing her, another piece floated over, a striped gift bag joining it.

  They filled their shopping bags with as many sweets as they could, leaving the shop with their arms weighed down by a bag for each of themselves and one for Harry. They went into Dervish and Banges next, a wizarding equipment shop, where they all treated themselves to some new supplies. Gwen got herself a fancy new eagle feather quill, Hermione got some infinite ink and Ron needed some new rolls of parchment. They got Harry a pretty raven quill, then moved onto Zonko's.

  After going into as many shops as they could, they came across the Three Broomsticks, a wizarding pub that was so full it was hard for them to even find a table. When they finally did sit down, Ron went to order them all some Butterbeer.

  'It's the best drink,' he said, handing out the goblets as they sat down. 'Fred and George say it's brilliant.'

  And it was. As soon as Gwen took her first sip, the fizzy goodness embraced her body and she was filled with warmth. She hadn't realised she was chilly beforehand.

  'Do you think we could bring some back for Harry?' Hermione said, draining her goblet.

  'I don't know how we'd get it back,' said Ron.

  'Maybe they do takeaway,' Gwen said, looking around, then stopped, staring at something by the bar.

  Ron, who had evidently followed her gaze, gasped audibly. 'What is that?' he hissed.

  It was a person, evidently, a giant figure shaped like a man. His skin was a sick sort of green colour, his face dotted with what looked like warts and his ears were large and poking out from beneath his long, greasy hair. The three of them stared at his back, his clothes big enough to fit Hagrid. He turned slightly, and they all averted their eyes.