𝘅𝘅𝘃 | 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝘃𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗹𝗮𝘄 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲

It looked like the end of Ron and Hermione's friendship

It looked like the end of Ron and Hermione's friendship. They were both so angry at each other that Gwen could not see how they'd ever make up.

  Ron was enraged that Hermione had never taken Crookshanks' attempts to eat Scabbers seriously, hadn't bothered keeping a close enough eye on him and was still trying to pretend that Scabbers was innocent by suggesting Ron look for Scabbers under all the boys' beds. Hermione, meanwhile, fiercely maintained that Crookshanks had not eaten Scabbers, that he had no proof, that those ginger hairs were probably there since Christmas and that Ron had been prejudiced against her cat ever since Crookshanks had landed on Ron's head in the Magical Menagerie.

  Gwen, however, was so sick of being stuck in the middle, that she made no attempt to try and get them to talk to each other. She and Harry had been playing peace makers since the beginning of the year, and Gwen wanted nothing more to do with it. She tried to split her time evenly between Harry and Ron, and Hermione, but it was very difficult when Ron and Hermione would spend almost any free second tearing her ears off about how the other was wrong.

  She, Gwen, personally believed that it was likely Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers. He was a cat, everyone knew cats hunted rats, but Gwen had not made the mistake of mentioning this to Hermione. She knew she'd chosen best not to when she walked into the common room the next evening to see Hermione shouting at Harry that he always sided with Ron.

  Hermione did, however, feel extremely guilty. She cried to Gwen that night before bed that she honestly didn't know if Crookshanks would have eaten Scabbers. Gwen comforted her, telling Hermione what she wanted to hear, but in truth, Hermione didn't need to be a genius to know that the likelihood of Sccabbers' demise was due to her cat.

  Ron had taken the loss of his rat very hard.

  'Come on, Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was,' said Fred bracingly. 'And he's been off colour for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly. One swallow-- he probably didn't feel a thing.'

  'Fred!' said Ginny indignantly.

  'All he did was eat and sleep, Ron, you said it yourself,' said George.

  'He bit Goyle for us once!' Ron said miserably. 'Remember?' He looked at Gwen and Harry. 

  Gwen nodded, shaking Ron's shoulder brightly. 'Yeah, he did.'

  'Yeah,' Harry said, 'that's true.'

  'His finest hour,' said Fred, unable to keep a straight face. 'Let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory. Oh, come on, Ron, get yourself down to Hogsmeade and buy a new rat. What's the point of moaning?'