𝘅𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗲𝗻𝗱

Gwen felt the tears spill over her eyelids as Hermione held out the letter

'He-- he sent me this...'

The letter was smudged with fat teardrops that it was hard to read in places. Harry took it, holding it out for Gwen and Ron to read:

Dear Gwen and Hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you both gave us.

Hagrid

'They can't do this,' said Harry, handing the letter back as Gwen wiped at her face. 'They can't. Buckbeak isn't dangerous.'

'Malfoy's dad frightened the committer into it,' said Hermione, sniffing. 'You know what he's like. They're a bunch of doddery old fools, and they were scared. There'll be an appeal, there always is. Only I can't see any hope... nothing will have changed.'

'Yeah it will,' said Ron fiercely. 'You'll have my help this time.'

'Oh, Ron!'

Hermione flung her arms around Ron's neck and broke down completely, startling both Gwen and Harry. Ron, looking quite terrified, patted her very awkwardly on the top of the head. Finally, Hermione drew away.

'Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers...' she sobbed.

'Oh, well, he was old,' said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. 'And he was a bit useless. You never know, Mum and Dad might get me an owl now.'

Despite her tears, Gwen caught Harry's eye, and the two of them shared a secret, relieved smile. It was good to be back, the four of them, once again.

• • •

The safety measures around the school now meant that it was impossible for Gwen, Harry, Ron and Hermione to go and visit Hagrid in the evenings. Their only chance to speak to him was during their Care of Magical Creatures lessons.

He seemed numb with shock at the verdict.

''S'all my fault. Got all tongue tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh looked up for me. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Comittee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em...'

'There's still the appeal!' said Ron fiercely. 'Don't give up yet, we're working on it!'

They were walking back up to the castle with the rest of teh class. Ahead, they could see Malfoy, who was walking with Crabbe and Goyle, and kept looking back, laughing cruelly.

''S'no good, Ron,' said Hagrid sadly as they reached the castle steps. 'That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had. I owe him that...'