Tack Isn't A Problem

After successfully teaching Mischief join-up, West spent a further 3 hours with the young colt, before turning him out to his field for a few hours. Once he was in the field, West moved to work with Athena. The mare had gained weight, and was ready to be backed again. According to Athena's papers, she had been backed prior to having Mischief, and had already been ridden. But due to what had happened, she needed backing again. It shouldn't be too hard though. At least West hoped it wouldn't be.

Upon entering the tack room, West grabbed the tack belonging to her other horse, Warrior. "This should fit" she mumbled to herself, walking down to Athena's stall. In a few swift movements, she hooked a leadrope to Athena's headcollar, and led her from the stall. "We're gonna try something today. We're gonna have fun, okay?" she said with a smile as Athena trotted by her side.

They entered the small arena, Athena still trotting as they did so. With a smile, West rested the leadrope across Athena's neck, before she closed the gate to the arena. "How'd you feel about the rope being over your neck?" she said, mostly to herself.

In response, Athena nudged West's shoulder gently. Not seeming bothered by the rope. Good start. "Saddle pad?" said West curiously, resting the saddle pad on Athena's back. Again, the mare didn't seem bothered by it. "Saddle?" said West, a smile creeping to her lips. As she placed the saddle on Athena's back, the mare raised her head, standing still. She looked alert. This made West smile. At least she wasn't bucking or rearing to try and throw the tack. "Good girl Athena" smiled West as she rubbed the mare's neck, before she moved to tie the girth.

Once the girth was tied, West grabbed the bridle. "What about this?" she smiled, smiling even more when Athena lowered her head for West. "You clearly don't need backing again. That guy is such a liar" she muttered, before putting the bridle carefully onto the mare. She didn't move an inch, nor did she make a single move to break away from West.

Smiling, West moved the reins over Athena's head, resting them on her withers. "We won't work too hard today. But Craig wants to see you in the paces. Just to see how you're doing. So we gotta work on them. But the way you were trotting on the way up here... I think he's gonna be happy" smiled West, earning a soft nudge in response.

As West pulled on her helmet, Craig jogged up to the fence of the arena. "Hey West, see I'm just in time" he smiled, watching her. "Yeah, just got her tacked up. She seems fine with it all. And her trotting is amazing. Seriously, she's so elegant. I'll show you" she smiled, turning back to the mare.

Time to see if this mare would bolt, or stand still to be mounted.

With caution and confidence, West put one foot in the stirrup...