Prolouge

Alex's Pov

Where am I? What is this place? I stumbled out from the metal container that brought me here. I looked around and saw no one. Where is everyone?

"Who are you?" a voice asked from behind me. I turned around and came face to face with a boy looking no younger than seventeen.

He stuck his hand out for me to shake. I didn't grab it. Instead I gave him a look to continue talking. He retracted his hand and said "The name's Alby. Welcome to the Glade, it's our new home and there is no way to get out. It's just you and I here. C'mon I'll give you the tour. " I followed closely behind Alby as he led me around what was called the Glade.

"Alex," I stated.

"What?" he replied.

"Alex. My name is Alex."

"Nice to meet you Alex. I have a feeling we're going to be great friends."

" Not like we have a choice," I muttered under my breath. Alby clearly didn't hear me because he continued talking. I took a moment to observe my surroundings. It seemed so peaceful here. I noticed a huge opening in the wall and it looked to lead out. I thought Alby said there was no way out?

" What's out there?" I pointed to the door.

Alby gave me a solemn look in return. " That there is the Maze. "

I took a look back at Alby and then to the Maze. I began walking towards it.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm going to go check it out. What does it look like?"

"You can't go out there. It's too dangerous."

I ignored what he said and continued advancing toward the opening. As soon as I stepped foot through the door, Alby stopped following me. Weird. I didn't go very far in for night was closing in. I took a few corners and admired the maze. It was truly interesting. All of the sudden, the sound of a door closing caught my attention. I darted back towards the Glade. The doors were closing? What is going on? I made it back through the doors just as they slammed shut behind me.

"Now do you see why we don't go in the Maze?" Alby asked.

"I'm going back in tomorrow to see if I can find a way out. Don't get me wrong this place is beautiful but I should really get back to my family."

Family. It dawned on me that I couldn't remember them or anything for that matter. This is quite nerve wracking. Why can't I remember? I guess there was no point in trying to change things and mope around. This is what I got and I'm going to have to make it work.

"How are you so calm about this?"

"I can't change what's happened. I'm making due with what I've got. It's pointless to mope around."

"Let's go to bed. Tomorrow we can start making this our home".

One month later.

I was running through the Maze yet again trying to find a way out. Alby had finally agreed to let me go. It isn't like he could have stopped me anyway. I came back through the doors to see another boy standing by Alby. Who is he? Did he come out of that metal box too? I ran up to them and gave Alby a questioning look.

"Welcome to the Glade. Your new home." Alby said.

"Who are you guys?" the boy asked.

"I'm Alby the chief. This is Alex. She's a..... runner "

"Runner? " I asked.

"That's what you do you run around the Maze all day," Alby replied."Can you remember your name?"