A Cup of Coffee

"Good morning," I said when I pushed open the door to the Kim apartment early Monday morning.

Jennie whipped around and gave me a pointed look. She was in a sweatshirt and leggings and her face was bright red with exertion. "Did Taehyung give you a key to the apartment?"

"Of course he did."

Jennie grumbled something to herself but didn't speak loud enough for me to hear. "He already left for work."

"I know. I'm here to see you." Jennie eyed me and I lifted up the green and red Starbucks  cup. "Your coffee?"

"Oh, I already forgot."

"I know, you forget about everything that's not work related."

"I do not."

"Really? Want to test that claim?"

Jennie chewed her lip for a second then sighed.

"Fine, you win. Thank you." She accepted the cup. "What did you get me?"

"Your favorite."

Jennie frowned, unimpressed. "You know my favorite, huh?"

"Of course. Grande white chocolate peppermint mocha with whole milk and four shots during the winter. Every other time a venti sweet cream vanilla cold brew with only two pumps of vanilla, except when you're really feeling it. Then you get a Starbucks double shot on ice with four shots of espresso, no classic syrup, one pump of vanilla and one pump of white chocolate mocha and just a splash of half and half."

Jennie stood there with her mouth opened.

"Close your mouth honey, you look like a trout," I teased, but she didn't respond, apparently still unable to process that I knew all of her Starbucks orders. I looked her up and down. "Working out?"

"Yeah."

"How do you have time to do everything that you do?"

"What do you mean?"

"You wake up early, workout, go to work for like ten hours or more every day, come home, cook dinner, find time to hang out with Taehyung, then do it all over again."

"What can I say? I'm just that impressive. I'd also punch someone at work if I didn't exercise."

I laughed. "Maybe I should try that; I probably wouldn't want to punch Soojoo."

"I still want to punch someone, but this way I don't actually do it."

"Well I must say: you are one impressive woman, Jennie Kim." Jennie shook her head but didn't respond to the compliment. "You know, we really should hang out more. This banter we have is really great."

Jennie looked at my blankly.

"Exactly. We could have our own comedy show."

"Do you ever stop talking?"

I grinned. "Things would be too boring if I stopped talking."

"Apparently."

I checked my watch. "It looks like you're in luck: I gotta head to work. I'll see you tomorrow morning with another peppermint mocha, fake girlfriend. Have a good day and don't stay at work too late."

I blew her a kiss and laughed as I walked out the door. As it closed, I heard Jennie yell, "How do you know my drink order?"

I popped my head back into the door. "I always order Starbucks with your brother."

"You pay attention to my order?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I?"

"Because we're not friends."

"Yes we are."

"No we're not."

"I make it a point to remember things about people."

"What does that even mean?"

I shrugged. "It's nice to know people pay attention to things you like. It makes me feel good, so I make it a point to do that for other people. Like, I know you likes sandwiches, you dislikes Pizza, you prefer mustard with your french fries, you hate soda... Wow, these are all food related, aren't they?" Jennie appraised me and didn't speak. I couldn't read her expression, couldn't tell what she was thinking, but under her intense gaze I laughed uncomfortably, not knowing what to say. "Uh, okay, well, I've gotta get to work. I'll see you tomorrow with your coffee. If you want to change your order, text me before seven. Bye!"

I heard a 'thank you' through the closed door. I smiled and hopped in my car, cranking up the heat, my body already frozen from the quick trip up the stairs to the apartment. I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck and rubbed my hands together.

When I got to work, I pulled out the framed photo I took of Jennie and myself on Friday and put it on my desk. The phone background was probably enough-and with enough patience, I could have somehow manipulated Soojoo to look at my phone screen-but a framed photo was faster and much more indicative of a thriving relationship.

I waited for the bite and didn't have to wait long; Soojoo was at my desk not too long after.

"Who's that?" she asked.

"Who?" I asked, playing dumb and focusing my eyes on my computer screen.

"Her." Soojoo pointed to the framed picture.

"That's Jennie." Soojoo looked at me, because it didn't answer her question. "My girlfriend."

Soojoo blinked. "What?"

"My girlfriend."

"I heard you," Soojoo snapped. "You have a girlfriend?"

"I've been telling you I have a girlfriend since I started working here."

"Why are you only now putting up a picture of you two?"

I shrugged. "I'm not the sentimental type, but she asked why I didn't have any pictures of us on my desk, since her desk is covered in pictures of us. She's obsessed with me. So I brought one from home to appease her. Very toxic, remember?"

"What does your girlfriend do?" Soojoo asked, ignoring my comment. The way she said the word 'girlfriend' made it sound like a dirty word.

"She's a lawyer. Late hours. The minute a new case develops she's off. She works the holidays because it's easier to get things done, but there are a surprising number of people who still want to sue each other on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Wild, right?"

"Oh yeah? Who does she work for?"

"Lawrence & Co."

Soojoo narrowed her eyes.

"But don't worry, you can ask her all of this on the 18th."

"You're coming?"

"I did RSVP." Soojoo looked like she wanted to make a snarky comment but somehow resisted the temptation. I rubbed it in. "I even stressed how important this company party was," I said, all fake smiles and false cheeriness. It was quickly becoming more and more genuine as Soojoo grew more indignant. "Jennie promised she wouldn't go into work this time and made sure to clear her calendar. I've told her so much about you too; she's really excited to meet you."

"I guess I'll see her then." Soojoo spun on her heels and went back to her desk. I covered my mouth with my hand to stifle my laughter.

"She's really got it out for you," Jungkook said.

I flashed him a grin. "Right? What did I do?"

"I think you're the only one who didn't immediately suck up to her."

"I don't think she sent me that memo."

Jungkook laughed. "It's pretty ballsy if you ask me."

"Someone's gotta stand up to the Wicked Witch of Christmas."

Jungkook laughed and went back to work. I realized that I quite liked Jungkook. Perhaps I really should give my co-workers a chance. Maybe not all of them. Just Jungkook.