Stay With Me

When it was time to leave, the girls were all but clinging to our legs and crying that we couldn't leave. Jennie, who still insisted she didn't she didn't like kids all that much, despite spending almost every free moment with my nieces, bent down and wrapped all three girls in a giant hug and promised we would visit them all the time. Jennie assured the girls she would make me drive her to see them-I didn't even have to stay, they could just hang out with her. The girls seemed excited about that.

"Hey, I thought I was your favorite aunt?" I asked.

"You were," Yeji said.

"Jennie is our favorite now!" Ryujin chirped.

"Wow. Tossed aside that easily," I joked and bent down to hug them. "I'm just kidding. I would pick Jennie over me any day." I winked at them.

"Are you going to marry Aunt Jennie?" Yeji asked when Jennie stood to hug my parents. I stole a glance at Jennie.

"I hope so. Do you think she'll say yes if I asked her?"

Yeji nodded vigorously. "She told me she would say yes if you asked!"

I smiled at Yeji's little scheme. "Well then, when the time is right, I'm going to need your help when I ask her."

Yeji nodded, determined.

I said goodbye to my family, and after a small spat in which Jennie still won the front seat, we made the trek home. Taehyung fell asleep in the backseat almost immediately. I reach over and wove my fingers through Jennie's and lifted her hand to my mouth, planting a kiss against her soft skin.

"Did you have fun?" I asked.

"I did. Thank you for bringing me home with you. I haven't had a Christmas like that since.."

I kissed her hand again. "Everyone loves you, you know? They're asking when we're having the wedding."

"I think I'd prefer a winter wedding."

"Oh?"

"Yes, with snow."

"Maybe we can recreate our first kiss," I teased. Jennie grinned, her eyes crinkling around the edges. That was something I grew to love about her smiles: they always reached her eyes. Her eyes could never lie to me.

"You know, I've also figured out your tell."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Your eyes. The truth is always in your eyes."

We drove in silence for much of the drive, listening to music. When we reached the city limits, Jennie spoke again.

"I'm going to miss sleeping with you every night."

"Me too. I love holding you."

"It's funny because I've never been affectionate; my love language has never been physical touch, but with you..." Jennie shrugged. "I need it. The thought of sleeping alone..."

"Then don't."

Jennie looked at me questioningly. "Don't?"

"I only live ten minutes away. I'll come over any night you want and I'll leave in the morning."

Jennie shook her head. "You don't have to do that."

"I know. But I also don't want to sleep alone."

Jennie watched me with a measured study.

"Taehyung is going to hate us."

"Taehyung is my best friend and I was already at your apartment every day anyway."