The Ice Queen

"I'm picking you up at 5:30 tonight," I told Jennie when I dropped off her coffee. "So no overtime tonight, got it? If you're even a minute late you have to pay for dinner."

Jennie opened her mouth to protest but I cut her off.

"No, no, no. I'm not letting you stay late tonight. We're going out to dinner and you're going to enjoy yourself and not stress out and stay late at work. 5:30."

Jennie raised her eyebrow at me but agreed. "5:30."

"See you tonight."

I spent my day at work trying to stay occupied so Soojoo wouldn't bother me. It didn't work. It never did. She was fussing about our office party on top of the big Christmas party and being extra annoying about it all. She scurried around the office with her clipboard berating people for all sorts of things.

When she left my desk after speaking to me for the fifth time that day, I glanced at Jungkook, who was smirking at me. I rolled my eyes and and mimed shooting myself. Soojoo felt it necessary to ask me twice if I was absolutely certain of my RSVP for the Christmas party. Was I sure we would both be there? Was I sure it wouldn't just be me? Yes, I was sure. I swore Soojoo's pestering had only increased since I set the photo of Jennie and myself on my desk.

I hunkered down until the clock hit five. When it did, I jumped out of my desk and hurried out of the office. I quickly drove home, changed into a casual dinner outfit, throwing my nicer clothes on the floor, and went to pick up Jennie. I parked out front of her building and texted her.

Me: I'm here

Jennie: Can you come up?

Me: You're not ready are you?

Jennie: I need 20 more minutes

Me: You're a bad date

Jennie: This is why I'm still single

Me: You realize you have to pay for dinner now

Jennie: We'll talk.

Me: Is Jongin there?

Jennie: Unfortunately

Me: I'll be up in fifteen

Jennie: I thought you were outside?

Jennie: Hello?

I rushed into the small market across the street and bought a winter bouquet of red roses, white chrysanthemums and lilies. I took the elevator up to her floor and walked through the doors with a bright grin on my face. It seemed that the receptionist was gone for the evening, so I strolled into the office and looked around for Jennie. I found her hunched over a stack of papers a couple inches thick. Jongin was a few desks away.

"Hey," I said, strolling over to her desk and sitting on the edge.

Jennie looked up and smiled at me before she looked at the flowers. She did a double take at the bouquet. I noticed Jongin look up from his desk and ogle the flowers.

"For you," I said and gave her the flowers. A smile smile crept onto Jennie's face, despite herself. I leaned in closer so only she would hear me. "I thought it would be funny to piss off Jongin."

Jennie grinned and suppressed her laughter.

"Ready to go?" I asked.

"Just about."

Jennie worked furiously over the documents. I glanced at Jongin who was pretending to not be staring at us, but every few moments he would glance up from his work to see if we'd moved. I checked my watch. It had been twenty minutes. I snatched the documents from under Jennie's hand and held them over my head.