Safe Haven 〰

Summary:

*telling each other I'm here / hiding their face in the other's neck*

Notes:

Warnings: mention of death (Natasha's nightmare), angst/comfort.

'I'm here.' She told you while you were dying in her arms.

Natasha's nightmares were getting more frequent. She knew that when they became too vivid she would end up hurting herself or someone else, so for this reason she began to sleep alone. She didn't want to stay by your side, even though she knew that she felt safer with you. You even understood that she needed space, that you couldn't be by her side all the time, and she thanked you mentally for respecting her space.

When the two of you were assigned to a mission where you had to infiltrate a neighborhood after a Hydra scientist, she felt desperation run through her body because she knew that if you slept together, she could hurt you. The chances only became greater, when in the house that Shield rented, there was only one double room with a large bed. Natasha felt afraid, as she noticed that in the room there was no other comfortable place.

She looked at you, who was looking at the room with a smile, saying something she wasn't paying attention to.

"Yeah, it looks like running away won't work. Which do you prefer, the left or right side?" You said in a playful tone, but the concern on Natasha's face made you move closer to her. "Hey, darling, what's wrong?"

"I can't." She said without looking at you.

"Can't what?" you moved closer to her, holding her face in your hands.

"I'm going to hurt you." She told you, looking at you for the first time. Realizing your confusion, she continued. "I'm having these nightmares, and I wake up scared, and I end up startled and end up hurting myself. I don't want to hurt you."

Natasha sighed, closed her eyes to feel the gentle caress you began to place on her face. You kissed her lips briefly and pulled away. She opened her eyes to look at you, and you cracked a smile.

"You would never hurt me. I am stronger, and I have regenerative powers." You whispered, causing Natasha to shiver, "But if you're afraid, I can sleep on the floor."

Kissing her lips briefly again, she wrapped her arms around you. She closed her eyes and rested her forehead against yours.

"I'll stay on the right side." She said, making you let out a giggle.

You picked her up on your lap, making her let out a surprised yelp, and she wrapped her arms around your neck and relaxed when you laid her down on the bed. Natasha smiled as you lay down beside her and wrapped your arms around her, making her hide her face in your neck. Maybe it was the tiredness from the sleepless nights, or just your heartbeat, that made her fall fast asleep in your arms. The nightmare repeated itself, you were being shot at by hydra soldiers, and ended up dead in Natasha's arms. Before Natasha could tell her sentence, she felt a caress on her face.

She opened her eyes, not startled as usual, she shivered at your breath on her neck. You had your face in the curve of her neck, whispering close to her ear. "I'm here." Natasha felt her heart melt, eyes water, she cracked a smile and closed her eyes again.

At that moment, she understood that you were her safe haven.