I hate that I don't hate you ⥺

Tony had a tradition, to have a Valentine's party, but it wasn't for everyone, only for the Avengers and his friends. You were one of Tony's best friends, you were the one responsible for his joining the Avengers team. When Tony invited you to the party, you knew that you would have to meet her again. You and Natasha had not met for over four years, part of you was over it, at least that's what you said. You knew that you would have to see her, with or without Bruce, or talking to someone. Your mind might be trained to handle the pressure, but your heart was not.

You knew about the possibility of meeting Natasha, but you honestly didn't care. You focused on the possibility that she might be on a mission, or on the fact that she might still not like parties. You didn't want to go to the party, but Tony owed you a drink after a catastrophic mission you went on together. He almost killed you, but you soon forgave him. Tony had put a lot of effort into the organization of that party, he had disturbed a lot of people, so that everything would go according to what he wanted. You only accepted the invitation to the party because you really needed some time away from the office. Your days had been very tiring, especially the last few days, where you spent hours and hours in front of a computer doing mission reports. At least, that's what you would say to most people that night.

You hadn't prepared a very special outfit, just what Tony had suggested in the invitation. You chose a red suit, you didn't usually wear a suit, but you used to because of Natasha. You had stopped wearing this outfit a long time ago, but you had respected Tony's choice. The invitation was very specific, that you had to arrive at a certain time, but you had always been very prompt, so you didn't really understand why the invitation was being so specific to you. You couldn't object, since Tony was a little crazy when it came to his parties.

Maria Hill, your best friend, had arranged to meet you that night. She was going to stay with you most of the night. Her decision was to meet you there, when in fact you wanted to go with her so that you wouldn't arrive unaccompanied. On the way to the party, you received a message from Maria saying that she would be a few minutes late, and that she would be with you soon. When you arrived at the compound, you noticed that there was not as much movement in the building, not as many people as there used to be. For a party of Tony's, everything was very quiet. You shrugged and made your way to the elevator.

When the elevator door opened, and you stepped inside, a strange feeling came over you. It was as if a Magnetic Magnet was pulling you in. Until the perfume that most seduced you, pulled you back to reality. Natasha appeared, walking from the front of the compound hall to the elevator door, heading toward you. She was staring at you, while you were simply trying to avoid her completely, but the red dress looked great on her.

"Sergeant."

"Romanoff."

For those who saw that formality, you couldn't imagine all that you had been through, yet today, but you sounded like strangers. Maybe time had made Natasha forget everything you two had been through, just as you were trying, deep down, to forget as well.

"I didn't think I'd see you around here."

You didn't answer, just let out a sigh. Natasha then looked you up and down, and you could hear a sigh coming from her as well.

"You look fine." She said low.

As much as you mentally controlled yourself, your body couldn't, it reacted on its own when it was in relation to Natasha. It had been so long since you had seen her, and that moment was not doing you any favors.

"Are you really going to talk to me, like nothing happened?" You replied harshly, slowly turning to Natasha.

"I'm trying to be friendly."