I'm sorry I slept with your son, or a story about Brett and two crying women

Brett expected everything, but not a slap in the face as a greeting.

They've been together for a while, sort of trying to see what it will look like, see if their relationship makes any sense at all, or if it's just temporary confusion. And they came to the conclusion that it did. They came to the conclusion that Brett loves Eddy, and Eddy loves Brett, and that it is... serious. And although they both put off this moment for as long as they could, they decided to tell their parents about it. They were debating for a long time how they should do it - together or separately, one piece of information so as not to lead them to a heart attack, or maybe all at once?

In the end, they decided it wasn't worth lying to them. And that right after the news 'haha, my orientation is not as straight as everyone would expect', there should be the information 'and by the way, my roommate has been also my boyfriend for a long time!' Other than that, they decided that such conversations should take place in the family circle, in private, so they were going to visit their parents alone. And the last thing they decided to do (Brett thought it was a stupid decision in retrospect) - they would do it at the same time to minimize the stress (which actually added to the stress, Brett thought long after).

And so the two, trying to support each other, went in different directions.

At first, Brett was more worried about Eddy than himself. His boyfriend's mum definitely had her own opinion on everything. He could only hope he would get through it somehow. Only when he was at the door of his family home did he realize that he had to do it too. The nervousness he had suppressed before came back stronger. He felt like that young boy again, who confesses that not only does he not want to be a doctor, but architecture is out of the question too.

They let him into the house. They must have suspected something, but was it what he was going to tell them? Brett wondered many times if his mum knew.

She only asked if he wanted something to drink, offered pieces of cakes. He wondered if she was stalling. Maybe she knows and doesn't want to hear it. Dad was reading the newspaper.

Brett said what he had to say. He wanted to do it quickly, painlessly, and not just add blow after blow. He barely looked at them. He actually couldn't. There was silence when he finished explaining. After a moment, he dared to look up to see the face in front of him. His mother's face. Who was crying.

Oh no.

"Mum..." he said, though he didn't know how to continue. He was afraid that if she cried, he would cry too, and he didn't want that.

"Mum..." he repeated and got up from the sofa behind the coffee table to approach the woman sitting across from him. He knelt by her. She just shook her head.

"Mum, I..." What was he supposed to say to her? 'I'm sorry, I won't do it again'? It's obvious he couldn't.

She was still swallowing her tears and seemed to be trying to say something but couldn't. In the end, she just put her hand on his head and they stayed like that for a while. Brett glanced at his father in the meantime, but decided he didn't want to see his reaction just yet.

"Brett, honey..." said Mum, a little calmer now. He snapped his head up at those words. "You know Eddy is like a son to me. And I just want you to be happy."

The still-kneeling man felt no relief. If she really didn't mind, she wouldn't be crying like that.

"I want you to be happy," she repeated, and Brett had to admit that she did sound sincere.

He tilted his head to the side to get a better look at her face.

"But?" he asked, not sure if he wanted to know the answer.