It's Time

Ann and I had been running for a while after, It wasn't easy finding a place to rest. Everywhere was dangerous, even when we thought we were far enough we'd stop and could hear the gunshots inching towards us.

"Ann-" I yell to her, out of breath," I-I don't know if I can keep running. . ."

She stopped, sensing the pain I was in and she let me catch up to her before grabbing my arm and putting two fingers up to my wrist. . . I looked up confused until I realized she was checking my pulse. I pulled my arm away, "Ann! I'm not hurt, I just mean that we need a plan!" She looked down, also letting herself catch her breath, before looking back up at me, "What do you suggest we do?"

I sighed, "I didn't really think that far. . ."

More shooting.

Ann looks at me, "Keep thinking of a plan as we run."

I really didn't want to run anymore, I was tired, and I could tell she was too. But we also had no other choice, so we kept going. I followed Ann as she led the way, we rounded a corner finding ourselves cut off by the end of the alleyway. Ann stopped, staring at the wall in front of us before quickly turning around, grabbing me by the hand and running us both back towards the opening we just went through.

"Come on before it's too late-"

We were about to round the corner but we were stopped by a body falling at our feet.

'I think we already are," I say, pulling her back before the King of Spades spots us again.

"We can't just wait here, he's coming this way"

She looked back over the corner for a quick moment before turning to me, "I think we can make a run for it!"

The shooting was getting closer.

I brace myself, knowing that we were backed into a corner, quite literally. And even if we did run, who's to say he wouldn't just keep catching up to us.

But we had no other choice. . .

I slowly nodded my head, "On three. . .'

"1."

"2..."

"Pssssttt!"

We looked behind us, seeing someone holding open the basement window to the building we were next to. You wouldn't have even noticed it if nobody pointed it out.

"Quick! In here!" They gestured for us to climb through.

I looked at Ann, skeptical. Before glancing around seeing the King of Spades closer than before.

"Can't make a run for it anymore. . ."

We both ran over to the window, Ann helping push up the window from our side as I slipped my way into the building.

"Ann, give me your hand," She grabbed it and I helped her through the small window.

The stranger and I pushed the window down, finally locking it. I composed myself, quickly scanning Ann for anything wrong. She seemed fine so I looked back over at the stranger, finally getting to get a good look. It was a girl, she was about the same age as me, maybe even a little younger.

"Thank you," I told her sincerely, from the side of my vision I could see Ann give her a thankful nod as well. The girl was a bit timid but she smiled back.

"My name is Nanako," the girl said.

"Y/n and this," I gestured to Ann, "is Ann."

The atmosphere got quiet and I used this time to catch my breath from running so much. I took in my surroundings, we were definitely in a basement. If the darkness didn't tell you that, it was all the cobwebs. Luckily there were a couple seats besides the walls, it reminded me of a hospital waiting room. . . Something I am very familiar with.

Ann sat down next to me, resting her head against the wall. Suddenly It hit me that I was incredibly thirsty and I'm sure Ann was as well. I nudged her a bit, "I'll go find us something to drink."

I started to stand up but Nanako stopped in front of me, handing me a bottle.

"I've already scavenged everything I could in here, but you can have this,"

"Thank you," I took a quick, but satisfying sip out of it before handing it to Ann. She followed suit before giving Nanako the bottle back.

"How long have you been staying here," Ann asked, inspecting the place.

"Since before the second stage. . ."

I noticed she looked really sad, I knew the look, it's the same I've had since coming into this world. She must have lost a lot of people close to her.

'Did you find it on your own," Ann continued to persist, walking over to the frame on the wall, brushing some dust off to show a glint of color under it.

Nanako looked down, "No, my father did."

Ann stopped and looked over, "I'm sorry. . . Was it during a game?"

"Ann-" I tried to stop Ann from questioning her further, if her father did die during a game, maybe it would be better not to ask.

"It's okay, it's hard to trust people in this world. . . Let's take some time to get to know each other," Nanako smiled back.

I looked over at Ann and she nodded back, "Well-"

The lights flashed on, illuminating the once dark hallway. I looked over at Ann, alarmed, "Does this usually happen?"

Nanako's smile grew, "It's time!"

"Time for what?"

"A game."