Chapter 5

Something inside me had lit up after I had spent time with Ruby. Felt like my medicine started to work again and I didn't sleep just to escape life. I hadn't had any more awkward meetings with Regina Mills and I had started to avoid going past her house. The week had gone by quickly and it was time for my therapist session again.

"Don't be late!", mom yelled from the kitchen when I put on my shoes. "Of course not!" I yelled back. It was my father's birthday and mom wanted to celebrate it with a surprise birthday party. She had somehow gotten people to come there even though it was a Wednesday. 

I walked through Storybrookes center to get to the hospital. My heart started to pound in my chest faster and faster with every step toward it. I hadn't felt this nervous about going since the first time, there wasn't even anything I should've been nervous about this time. 

I stepped into the mental health wing of the hospital. "Morning", a man I hadn't seen before said behind the counter. "Morning, I'm here for my appointment with doctor Mills", I said. "What's your name?" he asked. "Emma Swa-" I started. "Emma", I heard Regina's voice. I turned around to face her. "Good morning", I said and smiled slightly. "Let's go into my room shall we", Regina said and walked past me her long black coat brushing over my hand.

I sat down while Regina took off her coat. "My shift starts in five minutes but we can start a bit early", Regina said sitting down. "How are you feeling?" she asked. "Actually good. Meeting Ruby made a big difference in my energy. I haven't been this happy in a long time", I told her and saw how a big smile rose to her face. "That's wonderful to hear", she smiled. "You seemed a bit tense when I saw you, I hope I didn't make you feel uncomfortable", Regina continued. "You didn't, we had just met with Ruby when you came to say hi, so I was a bit nervous already", I told her, she nodded and wrote something down. 

"Are we done for the day?" I asked after the usual hour had passed. "There's one more thing", Regina said shifting her position. "What is it?" I asked. "I know you got drunk with Ruby", the words crushed through my spine and made me shiver. "Mom called you again", I replied quietly. "Second time in a week", Regina said, all of her happiness gone. 

"Why did you do it?" she asked. "Ruby had some beers and I didn't want to say no", I told her. "You do know that you can't drink with your medicine, right?" Regina shifted her gaze to me from her papers. "I do and I now know why", I said still trying to recall the things I couldn't remember. "Good. If your mom calls me even one more time about something like this I don't know if I can help you anymore, do you understand?", Regina's voice was firm, almost angry. "Of course, I won't drink again" I agreed. Regina got up and walked around her desk. "I think we should see each other twice a week for a while, is that okay with you?", she stated. "Sure, if you think it's for the best", I said. 

Regina had given me a new appointment for the next Monday and Friday. I got home just in time for the party and spotted Ruby hidden behind the couch. "What the hell are you doing here?" I asked whispering. "Your mom called and asked if I'd have time to bake a cake for your dad, so I did and got invited to the party", Ruby tried to explain as quickly as she could.  We heard my dad's car parking outside. "Everyone hide!" My mom yelled over the crowd of 15 people. Mom shut the lights and hid right beside me.  

The seconds waiting for my dad to come in felt like hours. I could hear him taking off his coat and shoes. He walked into the living room and put on the lights. "SURPRISE!", everyone yelled at the same time jumping out of their hiding. "Oh my- What is this?" My dad looked shocked but happy. "Happy birthday, David!" my mother walked over to give him a kiss. "You shouldn't have", David scooped her into a hug. "Let's have some cake, shall we", my mother said letting go of my father.  

Ruby's cake was the best thing I had eaten in months. "You need to make me a birthday cake too" I mumbled between bites. "We are going to have the best party ever on your birthday" Ruby was convinced.  "I needed to talk to you about partying", I said swallowing the rest of my piece. "I need to take you to one of my friend's parties next weekend", Ruby said her eyes glimmering. "I can't drink anymore", I let out a sigh. "Why not?" Ruby's expression changed. "I can't drink with the medicine I need to take daily", I answered. 

The doorbell rang before Ruby got to answer. "I need to open that", I said and left her alone. One of my dad's friends was late or so I thought when I entered the hallway. Something made of glass broke in the kitchen and drew my attention to it when I opened the door. I shifted my eyes back to the now-open front door. "Regina, what are you doing here?"