[5] Leaves of Autumn

Chapter Five

With my thoughts clouded by this girl Oliver likes I walked out of the school grounds not even noticing when Jordan said hey until he grabbed my arm. 

            “Are you okay?” he asked me.

            I snapped out of my trance and looked at him.  “Oh, yeah, sorry. My mind is kind of distracted for some reason.”

            “Oh, that’s okay.  So I was wondering... do you want to hang out this afternoon?”

            “Where?”

            “At the lake.”

            I ducked my head.  “But last time I went there with you, you ditched me the whole time and then the next I saw of you was when you were going to take me home.”

            “Well I do want to see my friends... Eve and Abigail should be there.”

            “Do you ever think I might just want to get to know you?” I asked him.

            “Cece, we just met...”

            “Oh don’t be so up yourself Jordan!  I don’t mean to get to know you so I can be your girlfriend or anything!  I mean I want to be your friend!”

            “You don’t want to be my girlfriend?”

            “We just met.”

            “Right... but in the near future?”

            “Jordan, how would I know if I’d want any future with you?  I hardly know you.”

            Jordan sighed. 

            “Why are you so keen in wanting to know?”

            “Because, you are really pretty, you seem quite smart, and you really don’t care what people think of you.  In this town there are so many expectations and you don’t care what people expect of you, you do what you want because you like it!  I like that trait!”

            I sighed.  “Then if you really like that I don’t follow people’s expectations, why do you keep expecting me to stop talking to Oliver?  Why do you keep thinking he’s going to take me away from you and all that?  It’s not like I’m yours to claim!  I’ve known you for two days!”

            “Because... If there is one thing I hate more than anything is people hanging out with a guy like him.”

            “A guy like him?  He’s your brother!”

            “How do you know that?”

            “Oh, because I’ve made friends here?”

            “Like who?”

            I shook my head.  “That’s not the point.  He’s your brother!  You shouldn’t be trying to turn people against him!”

            “Jeez Cece, do you have a crush on him or something?”

            “Pfft!  I’ve only known him for two days as well!  But he’s been way kinder to me than you have!”

            “What is he to you, Cece?”

            “He’s my friend.”