[16] Leaves of Autumn

Chapter Sixteen

A smile crept onto Oliver’s face.  “Are you watching me?” he whispered.

            “No,” I whispered back.

            He slowly opened his eyes and looked into mine.  “Liar.”

            I bit my lip and smiled.  He made me feel so happy.  He made me feel beautiful.  He made me feel perfect.

            “How are you?” he asked me.

            “I’m brilliant.  How are you?”

            “Couldn’t be better.  I have the most beautiful girl laying next to me after spending a brilliant night with her.  Although it’s not the best night.”

            Hurt crossed my face and he smiled.

            “My most favourite night was the one where you had dinner with me and my grandparents.”

            “Really?  Out of all the nights we spent together it’s your favourite?”

            “Always will be.  The first night we hung out.  You laughed, smiled, and were so polite.  It was then I realised I really liked you.  More than a friend way.”

            “And... your favourite memory out of all?”

            “When we walked out of class that first session.  I said you had an attitude and then you said―”

            “You look like a sheep that hasn’t been shaved in years.”

            We both laughed together. 

            “You sure made an impression,” he whispered, taking my hand in his.

            “And you made an impression to me... By the way,  when you sung that song, Can’t Stand It by Never Shout Never... then you mentioned a girl who was taken that you liked... who was she?”

            “You have to ask?”

            I shrugged.

            “It was you Cece.  It’s always been you.  Like the lyrics said, you got me through another year here, and when I saw you across the room, I knew it’d blossom into something beautiful.”

            I smiled.  My heart nearly leaped out of my chest.

            “Why did you date Jordan?”

            I sighed.  “Because I thought you’d never want me.”

            “That’s a silly thought.”

            “Well... you’re hard to read.”

            “Am I still hard to read?”

            I smiled.  “Not since I’ve cracked your shell.”

            “So, the army truck comes in two months,” Oliver stated.

            “And you’re getting on it right?” I queried.  Oliver’s grandparents had come home and we sat in Oliver’s room chatting.

            “I don’t know...” he said.

            “What’s stopping you?”