Chapter 60: The letter

Upon Enrique's command, the camp was broken down and packed up immediately after our return, the soldiers making quick work of the job as we were to disembark away from the island and towards the fountain. We were sailing to the nearest bay where the fountain was located, as depicted on Ponce De Leon's map, marked with the archaic symbol he had drawn.

Our destination wasn't far but Enrique felt safer sailing there and having the ship to hand, should something go awry. No doubt one factor for this had been the run in with Jack and the other man, the Spanish's distrust and loathing of pirates making each man feel uneasy about our next encounter. Our plan was simple; go to the fountain, intercept any claim to the fountain and reclaim the lost chalices. Of course Enrique was not to know of my link to the other party, I just hoped that it would all play out alright in the end, with no blood spilled on either side. Except for Blackbeard, should he be on his way here, that bastard should die.

I settled aboard and walked into the chart room as we made our way to the fountain, whilst Enrique guided the men at the helm towards our heading.

The chart room was a mess, and was definitely not in the same state we had left it when we had disembarked. I frowned, looking around at the strewn letters and maps. Ink was half spilled on the floor beside the wooden desk and books were littering the once tidy floor, thrown open on the wooden planks.

This could only have been done by a person, and I knew exactly who that person could be. After what transpired earlier this morning, Rafa had been restrained aboard the ship, in Enrique's words, but restrained had been a loose term, evident by the destruction caused here.

I crouched down and began to clear away the discarded books, placing them into a neat pile in the corner. I noticed that Enrique's personal bible was amongst the books and so I made a special effort to keep that to the top, knowing how important it was to Enrique. I then turned to the desk and began to clear the papers strewn over the main charts. Sorting them into neat piles, I tried to organise as I went, separating the maps and other papers away from each other. The index of Spanish translations Enrique had written for me was hidden amongst the papers and I filed it away accordingly with the other reference material. When I could finally see the main chart we had been using underneath all the litter, I frowned, seeing a large bump in the bottom right hand corner, as if something was below it.

I gently lifted the fragile map, careful not to tear the parchment and frowned deeper at finding the sailor's logbook beneath the map. Thankfully it seemed largely undamaged but there was a piece of parchment sticking out of it now, with an all too familiar crest printed on the only part of the paper I could see, peeking out from within the book.

Glancing quickly at the door, I ascertained that no one was around before crouching over to gently remove the parchment from the book.

Before me was a letter from the office of Rt Hon, Aloysius P. chamberlain, department of international trade and affairs, the crown's seal and markings clear from the top right hand corner and from below, addressed to King Ferdinand. Aloysius had sent a letter?

My stomach began knotting with unease as I began to read the letter, my sense of dread never easing as I read further on.

Your majesty,
I send to you Lillian Swann, alleged daughter of my predecessor, who is heading for the fountain of youth. Let her gain the abundant knowledge yourself and your dear brother Enrique hold, use her for whatever means possible.
Let the girl lead you to the fountain, then upon my word you are to destroy the abomination that is the fountain... same with the girl.
She is no longer deemed valuable to the crown and to her country, as her loyalty is questionable at best.
Send word once your task is complete and you shall be rewarded in turn. Best not to tell your sweet at heart brother.