Chapter 28: At worlds end.

It was bright. Light. No shade. No wind.
"Course there's no bloody wind!" Jack called out, more frustrated than ever. He'd swung down onto the ground via a large rope hanging from the pearl in hopes of disappearing from the crew of Jacks onboard the ship.

"Me soul I do swear for a breeze," he said out-loud as he began to walk off with his characteristic swagger. "A gust, a whisper. A tiny, miniature lick."

"That's not all you want though, is it Jack?"

Jack's head whipped around to the familiar voice, seeing Lily stood there smiling up at him.
"Lily?" He questioned, his throat dry.
"Still thinking about me eh Jack?" She mocked, taking sultry steps towards him. He was at a loss for words. Of course this wasn't the first time he'd seen her in the locker, and he doubted it would be the last, but they were usually faraway thoughts and dreams; not as real as what this appeared to be.

"Still thinking about those three little words?" She added, gazing up at him knowingly.
"I don't know what your talking about love, sure you've not been on the rum darlin?" He snarked back, attempting to wave her off with a shake of his hand. He turned away from her and began walking.

"I love you," she called out. Hearing those words made him stop dead in his tracks and turn to her with a look of amazement, "see, it's really not that hard to say, is it? You could have said it to me you know," she smirked. He frowned, thinking about their last moment together.

"Well, bloody load of good it've done anyway!" He shouted, walking away from 'her'. After walking for a few minutes, he turned back around and she was no longer stood there, he could only see the pearl. With a shake of his head, he dismissed the entire conversation all together and carried on walking forwards, until he spotted a rock to the side of him.
He frowned at it for a moment before reaching to grab it in his hand, looking it over for a moment before he flung it as far as he could throw. It landed with a hard bang, bouncing slightly from the force of his throw, until it settled into the sand. Thinking no more about it, Jack stomped off muttering to himself until he had walked a complete circle around the ship, stopping to notice the rock once more.

"Shoo," he said, waving it off like a stray dog. He turned slowly as if to walk away, but turned back quickly trying to catch it out. In his mind he had no idea if this was another figment of his imagination. There was no depth to how far the madness had taken over him, and no scenario was too mad for him.
He slowly reached down, contemplating his next move, before gingerly sticking out his tongue and licking the entire side of the rock. He cringed instantly at the taste and threw the far away from himself once again, disgusted by the taste in his mouth, before taking another walk around the ship.

"Oh, a rope!" Jack said, spotting a rope hanging from the top deck. He have a sharp pull and the rope began to fall, pooling at his feet until there was no more. Thinking more clearly than he had in weeks, Hack made quick work of tying the rope to the Maidenhead and with all his strength, began to pull, which of course did nothing. After several moments of attempting to move the pearl, Jack was beginning to give up when he felt a strange feeling wash over him, as if he were being watched.

Turning to the right, he now saw the rock from earlier watching him with beady eyes, having now turned into a crab. The image was too much for Jack, his mind finally playing the last trick on him, and he fell to the floor instantly.

He lay there for an incomprehensible amount of time, waiting out the hours, his closed eyes shielding him from the bright whiteness around him. His thoughts naturally drifted to the perfect, fire-haired beauty he'd fallen deeply for that he had been separated from. Near constant thoughts of Lily both plagued and calmed him. The separation from her was painful, a pain that seemed to sink down to his bones as it crushed him internally. The visions he had of her only fuelled his love and his lust, but they were maddeningly unreal. No matter how close he seemed to get to her, any version of her he had created, she always faded away.