Chapter 31: Sunrise, Sunset.

I was on deck was before dawn the next morning, stood beside Hector as he took control of the wheel. Jack was sat on the main deck, at the chart table trying to formulate a plan. He looked over every now and then, clearly keeping a watchful eye on Hector, not trusting the other captain.

"I'm sorry for yer loss Ditty," he said, eyeing me up to see that I was okay. I nodded with a weak smile to thank him, before looking out at the water, remembering the sea of souls we encountered last night.

"Davy Jones in Charon isn't he?" I questioned, referring to the Greek mythological figure who ferried souls between worlds, transporting them to Hades.

"Aye, in a way Ditty, and that which we sailed through be the river Styx," he nodded, motioning our at the seas around us.
"You weren't wrong about the tales repeating themselves," I said staring out into the water, remembering back to our conversations.
"It is tedious to tell again, the tales already told," he says. I smile gently, looking up at him.
"Homer's Odyssey again," I smiled, "you really need a new book Hector." He cackled with laughter, nodding.
"Aye Ditty, perhaps."
He turned to look back over at the seas, and I couldn't help but notice the look of hopelessness in his face. I placed my hand on his shoulder before walking away, down onto the main deck.

"Why is all but the rum gone?" I heard Pintel groan, tipping his flask desperately toward his mouth, desperate for the last remaining drops.

"Rum's gone too," Mr Gibbs said, clutching his own flask, sat back to back with Pintel.

"If we cannot escape these doldrums by nightfall, I fear we will sail trackless seas, doomed to roam the reach between worlds forever," Tia Dalma warned.

"With no water, forever seems to be arriving a mite too soon," Mr Gibbs sighed.

"Why doesn't he do something?" Will said, casting a glance at Hector.

"There's no sense to it," Mr Gibbs shrugged.

"And the green flash happens at sunset, not sunrise," Will said, clearly frustrated by the confusing instructions.

"Over the edge," Mr Gibbs repeated, "It's driving me over the blooming edge! Sunrises don't set!"

I sighed, walking over to Jack at the chart table. I touch his shoulders as I take a seat beside him, our legs touching as he smirks up at me, his right arm stretching around my back.
He leans forward, turning one of the dials in the opposite direction, essentially re-aligning the words.
"Up is down," he reads, his face screwing up, "well that's just maddeningly unhelpful! Why are these things never clear?"
I reach out, placing my hand on his thigh, trying to soothe him. He sighed, still spinning the charts with his free hand.
Up is down. As I gazed over the charts, I tried to remember our journey to the locker.

Suddenly, fragments began formulating quickly in my mind, like one big puzzle joining together, the beginnings on an idea rupturing through my mind almost like it had just clicked.
"No, it's literal!" I whispered, Jack's gaze shifting to me.
"Over the edge, over again. That's how we got to you. We had to fall over the edge, over the waterfall that marked the worlds end and over again! Over again, crossing over between worlds!"
Mr Gibb's words suddenly repeated in my head. Sunrises don't set.
"Jack, stop!" I suddenly cried out, making him stop twisting the charts, his face looking up at me in confusion.

"Sunrises don't set." I said calmly, trying to figure out what I was saying at the words spilled out of my mouth. Just as Jack was about to comment, frowning deeply at me, I reached out, twisting the middle dial to turn the ships image upside down.
"Unless..."