Chapter 61: I can find an hourglass

The fighting comes to a quick halt as all the men look around puzzled, focusing on the quick footsteps approaching closer and closer.

Suddenly, they are surrounded by dozens upon dozens of Spanish soldiers, all decked out in their elegant uniforms and banner frames, the symbol of the monarchy embroidered upon the thick, expensive fabric. More soldiers appear from within hiding places, some rising up from the pool as they surround the men.

Groves and a number of the kings navy race to the high ground on the mossy layers, having seen the Spanish flags and reading through the Spanish's intentions. He suddenly lurches forward and pulls out an oversized Union Jack, holding it apart in his arms as he exclaims, "this land, and all its attendant
mystical properties, is hereby forever claimed in the glorious name of his Majesty King George the second!" 

He is immediately cut down with a single shot, straight to the chest through the flag he proudly held.
"Someone make a note of that man's bravery," the Spanish officer says with a wave of his hand, pocketing his pistol. He suddenly turns to Scrum, who is still holding the chalices, his face immediately conflicted at the request. He reluctantly hands them over, shooting a look of guilt towards Jack before he shuffled away.
The Spaniard glances at the chalices in his hands, examining them with great interest. He suddenly turns towards the fountain and raised the chalices to the sky.
"There is but One Source of life eternal, and it is not these pagan waters!" Behind him, all the Catholic Soldiers make the sign of the cross across their chests. Suddenly, the Spaniard throws the Chalices to the ground and before anyone could intercept, he stomps on them, flinging the broken chalices into the water once he was satisfied they are no longer usable. He turns to his men, commanding loudly, "In the name of Rafael and his majesty King Ferdinand the sixth, Destroy this profane temple!"
Both the pirate crewmembers and Royal Navy look upon the sight of the Spanish destroying the mythical realm around them, each man horrified at the act, frozen in place with shock.

The Spanish waste no time in quickly wrecking the ancient sight, toppling large boulders and disturbing the moss covered earth. Ropes are tossed between the men and great statues of rock are pulled down, shattering upon themselves as they fall on the uneven ground.
Seeing the destruction before them, the British soldiers flee, realising that this was not there fight and they are not loyal to Barbossa in any way. One line soldier hangs back, deliberating wether to retrieve Groves' body for burial but he quickly decides that the danger outweighs the right thing to do and flees, catching up to the other officers once he exits the fountain.

"You are a fool. You seek in this place what only faith can provide," the Spanish man mutters to Blackbeard before wandering off, satisfied at the decimation around him. The entire Spanish fleet departs, their leader casting one last look towards the dreadful pirates before them before they disappeared through the mist and away from the broken fountain. Blackbeard simply stares back, his face void of emotion. His last hope of eternal life had gone.

Suddenly, Blackbeard cries out in anguish, looking down at his arm to see a large, weeping gash, sliced by the sword of his nemesis.
"What devilry is this?" Blackbeard booms, looking towards Barbossa. With merely a flick of his wrist, Barbossa pierces Blackbeard with his sword, right into his gut, ensuring that the cold hearted captain would die.
"That first was for the Pearl, the second was for revenge," Hector sneers, standing above the man by his feet, slowly meeting his demise.

His fury and vengeance satisfied by the death of his nemesis, Hector reaches down to grasp at the sword, formally owned by Blackbeard.
"I claim Blackbeard's ship and crew. And this sword, wergild for me missing limb!" He speaks loudly, raising the sword into the air in triumph. The hatred he felt towards Blackbeard, the sheer need to avenge Lily's life has all but dissipated now as he can now reap the rewards he so rightfully deserved.
The men have a choice, join Barbossa or be left upon the ruins of the fountain, set to join the rest of the skeletons that littered the beautiful fountain.