Chapter 46: The captain's daughter

"Land Ho!" The man in the crows-nest called out as we approached my destination. I stood beside Will at the helm as the men rallied around us preparing to lay anchor.

"Prepare to drop anchor!" Will called out to his men, met by an array of 'aye captains' as they pressed on.

"I'm sorry I can't get you closer Lily," Will said from beside me and I shook my head in reply, happy that I'd at least got so far.

"Captain, the boat is ready," another man said as he approached me and Will. Will nodded to him and the man ran off to join his crew mates dropping the anchor.

"Will," I said turning to him, "I can never thank you enough for what you've done," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"Lily, I'm bound to the Dutchman, and I've accepted my fate, but in the end, Jack saved my life. You can tell him now that we're square," he smiled, both of us chuckling at his words.
"If I ever find him, I'll be sure to tell him that," I laughed with a self-deprecating tone. Will's hand came to rest on my shoulder as he smiled.
"I know you and Jack, you'll always find each-other."
We embraced tightly, both of us relishing in the comfort we found in each-other.

"Take care Will."
"Take care Mrs Sparrow."

I climbed into the small boat as the crew lowered me onto the water and began to row myself towards the port. I looked back once I'd rowed about halfway and saw the Dutchman sailing away. I could clearly still see Will stood at the stern watching me as the Dutchman pulled away, and I had to hold back a tear at seeing him pull away.

Once I reached the familiar docks of London, I slipped through the opening between the wooden plinths and dropped down to the lower walkway that led into town; a trip I'd taken many times before with friends, trying to avoid the harbourmaster.

I walked along the winding path and eventually came up to the stone wall that separated the main town from the docks. With acute precision, I scaled the stone wall and slipped over it, using the brick I'd used many times before as leverage to push me up and over.
I dropped down and found myself facing a very familiar sight; The Captain's daughter tavern and Inn.

I walked briskly around the corner and into a small store that specialised in female dress, the same store I often visited with my mother when I needed new clothes.
I walked away with a new, much needed, new outfit and under-slip within minutes, managing to avoid the shop keeper entirely and walked back to my original place as I figured out my next port of call, the tavern.

I smirked at the familiar sight and walked towards the old familiar establishment as I stepped through the door, the bell chiming noisily with my movement. A sea of people turned to face me with odd looks but I merely shot them a stern look and continued walking towards the bar.

"How can I help ya darlin'?" The plump barmaid asked as I approached the empty bar.
"Tumbler of rum please," I said automatically, which prompted her to begin pouring from the large barrel underneath the counter. I pulled out some currency from between my breasts and placed it on the surprisingly clean counter.
"Anything else I can get you lovie?" She asked, wiping the counter in large circles.
"I need a room for the night, do you have any vacant?" I asked, laying out enough money on the counter for her to see.
"They're all vacant. Times is hard darlin, want me to take yer up there now?" She asked, wiping her hands on the apron that tied around her waist.
"Yes please," I said, nodding to the woman. She smiled and lifted the folding counter with a bang as she ushered me to follow her out the back. I grabbed my rum and followed closely behind her, up the stairs and across the hall to a large wooden door with the number 2 carved into it.
"Should all be in working order lovie, there's water in the water drum. Here's your key. Is there anything else I can do for you?" She asked cheerfully, handing me the key.