The Showdown

Chapter 4

Y/n's POV

I spent the next few days preparing for my showdown against Yumeko Jabami. I researched all of her past matches and strategies, trying to find any weakness I could exploit. I even went so far as to ask Mary and Ririka for advice, and surprisingly, they both gave me some valuable tips.

The day of the match arrived, and I made my way to the designated gambling hall. Yumeko was already there, dressed in her usual school uniform and a confident smile on her face.

"Y/n, you're here!" she exclaimed when she saw me. "I've been looking forward to this."

"I bet you have," I replied, trying to keep my tone light and friendly.

We took our seats at the gambling table, and the dealer shuffled the deck of cards. Yumeko and I exchanged polite small talk as we waited for the game to begin.

Finally, the dealer dealt the first round of cards. I studied my hand carefully, trying to keep my expression neutral. Yumeko, on the other hand, seemed to be having a great time, giggling and smiling as she placed her bets.

The game progressed quickly, and before I knew it, we were down to our final round. I had a decent hand, but I knew that Yumeko was a master at bluffing. I took a deep breath and placed my bet.

Yumeko studied her cards for a few moments before flashing me a mischievous grin.

"I see your bet," she said, placing her own chips on the table. "And I'll raise you."

My heart skipped a beat. This was it. The moment of truth.

I looked at Yumeko's face, trying to read her expression. She was still grinning, but there was a glint of something in her eyes that I couldn't quite place.

"I call," I said, pushing my own chips forward.

Yumeko laid her cards on the table, revealing a straight flush. My heart sank. I knew I had lost.

But then Yumeko spoke.

"You know, Y/n, I could have won this game easily," she said, her grin widening. "But I wanted to give you a chance to win too."

I blinked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

Yumeko leaned in closer to me, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"I saw the way you were studying me, trying to find my weaknesses," she said. "And I wanted to see if you had what it takes to beat me. And you know what? You did."

I stared at her, feeling a rush of gratitude and admiration. Yumeko had not only given me a chance to win, but she had also shown me that she respected me as a fellow gambler.

We spent the rest of the afternoon talking and laughing, and I realized that I had found something much more valuable than a victory in a game of chance. I had found a true friend in Yumeko Jabami.