Snake Heirs [EDITED]

The news that Colin Creevey had been attacked and was now lying as though dead in the hospital wing had spread through the entire school by Monday morning. The air was suddenly thick with rumor and suspicion. Some first years were now moving around the castle in tight-knit groups, as though scared they would be attacked if they ventured forth alone. 

Ginny sat next to Colin Creevey in Charms, and she was distraught,. Fred and George tried to cheer her up, going the complete wrong way about it. The twins were taking turns covering themselves with fur or boils and jumping out at her from behind statues. They only stopped when Percy, apoplectic with rage, told them he was going to write to Mum and tell her Ginny was having nightmares. 

Meanwhile, hidden from the teachers, a roaring trade in talismans, amulets, and other protective devices was sweeping the school. Neville Longbottom bought a large, evil-smelling green onion, a pointed purple crystal, and a rotting newt tail before the other Gryffindor boys pointed out that he was in no danger; he was a pureblood, and therefore unlikely to be attacked.

"They went for Filch first," Neville said, his round face fearful. "And everyone knows I'm almost a Squib."

"You're not a squib, Neville. Some things take time, but you'll be one of the best wizards one day," Bridget Greenblatt, a Slytherin in our year, reassured him. Neville looked taken aback at her kindness, and thanked her.

In the third week of December, I was walking with Ellarose Grace to Charms through the entrance hall when we spotted a small knot of people gathered around the notice board, reading a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up. 

"They're starting a Dueling Club!" I heard Seamus Finnegan tell Ron, Hermione and Harry. "First meeting tonight! I wouldn't mind dueling lessons; they might come in handy one of these days ..."

"What, you reckon Slytherin's monster can duel?" I scoffed, and Ellarose giggled.

The majority of the school went along to the Dueling Club, but Matilda and I decided to ditch, finally sneaking to Hogsmeade and gorging on sweets in the corner of the common room while everyone was out

Our peace did not last, interrupted by Ron and Hermione dragging Harry into the room. Ron pushed Harry into an armchair. 

"You're a Parselmouth. Why didn't you tell us?"

I froze. He's what!?

"I'm a what?" Harry frowned.

"A Parselmouth!" Ron explained. "You can talk to snakes!"

"I know," Harry said nonchalantly. "I mean, that's only the second time I've ever done it. I accidentally set a boa constrictor on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once—long story—but it was telling me it had never seen Brazil and I sort of set it free without meaning to that was before I knew I was a wizard—"

"A boa constrictor told you it had never seen Brazil?" Ron repeated faintly.

"So?" Harry said. "I bet loads of people here can do it."

"Oh, no they can't," Ron told him. "It's not a very common gift. Harry, this is bad."

"What's bad?" Harry asked. "What's wrong with everyone? Listen, if I hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin—"

"Oh, that's what you said to it?"

"What d'you mean? You were there—you heard me—"

"I heard you speaking Parseltongue," Ron explained. "Snake language. You could have been saying anything—no wonder Justin panicked, you sounded like you were egging the snake on or something—it was creepy, you know—"