Summer 1993 - 2/2

My room was nice. The bed was cozy, and the bathroom was clean. I fell back onto my bed and fell asleep straight away.

By the time I got up the next morning, Harry was already downstairs

By the time I got up the next morning, Harry was already downstairs. "Hi," I said awkwardly. 

"This is weird, isn't it?" Harry sighed. 

I nodded. "Yeah. I should've brought my money, I'm broke," I groaned. 

"Don't worry, you can take some stuff out of the vault," Harry said. 

"You have a vault!?" I exclaim. 

"Yeah, although technically we have a vault, it was left to the two of us," he corrected. 

Okay, I officially love my family.

They left me and Harry a fortune! I got my own separate vault from Harry's which the goblins had to use my blood to verify my identity before I got the key. I have never had this much money in my life. It is crazy! I had to exercise a lot of self-control not to spend the whole lot of money at once. I had to keep reminding himself that I had six years to go at Hogwarts, as well as years after that.

I ate breakfast with Harry each morning in the Leaky Cauldron, then after breakfast I would go out into the back, take out my wand,tap the third brick from the left above the trash bit, and stand back41as the archway into Diagon Alley opened in the wall. 

I spent the long sunny days exploring the shops and eating under the brightly colored umbrellas outside cafes, where my fellow diners were showing one another their purchases ("it's a lunarscape, old boy - no more messing around with moon charts, see?") or else discussing the case of Sirius Black ("personally, I won't let any of the children out alone until he's back in Azkaban"), which I found incredibly stupid. 

I spent the nights reading my new books, or studying my mother's diaries, which I found incredibly fascinating. I did all my homework in the bright sunshine outside Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, finishing all my essays with occasional help from Florean Fortescue himself, who, apart from knowing a great deal about medieval witch burnings, gave me free sundaes every half an hour. 

I had to stop myself from buying things I didn't need, like a handsome set of solid gold Gob stones, and I was sorely tempted, too, by the perfect, moving model of the galaxy in a large glass ball, which would have meant I never had to take another Astronomy lesson, but considering I could get straight full marks in my sleep it wouldn't make a difference. My favourite purchase, however, was a cute Eagle Owl, which was the very first purchase I made. I decided to name my Owl Minerva, after the Roman god of Owls, and Professor McGonagall. I then decided to buy a cute ginger kitten named Malia, for when I'm lonely and my owl was off doing who knows what.

There were, however, things that I needed to buy. I went to theApothecary to replenish my store of potions ingredients, and as my school robes. I'd sprouted over the past few months, and they were now several inches too short in the arm and leg, I visited Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions and bought new ones. Most important of all, I had to buy my new schoolbooks. I got a surprise as I looked in at the bookshop window, where instead of the usual display of gold- embossed spell books the size of paving slabs, there was a large iron cage behind the glass that held about a hundred copies of rapid books. Torn pages were flying everywhere as the books grappled with each other, locked together in furious wrestling matches and snapping aggressively. I pulled my booklist out of my pocket and consulted it for the first time.