The Dark Mark - (Quidditch World Cup [Part 3])

"Don't tell your mother you've been gambling," Dad implored Fred and George, as we made our way slowly down the purple- carpeted stairs.

"Don't worry, Dad," Fred said gleefully. "We've got big plans for this money, we don't want it confiscated."

Dad looked for a moment as though he was going to ask what these big plans were, but seemed to decide, upon reflection, that he didn't want to know.

We were soon caught up in the crowds now flooding out of the stadium and back to their campsites. Raucous singing was borne towards us on the night air as we retraced our steps along the lantern-lit path. When we finally reached the tents, nobody felt like sleeping at all and, given the level of noise around us, we obviously threw a party in celebration.

Viktor Krum was staying in the tent with us, and apparently he had been friends with the Wrights, Vellanis, Graces, Soveralls, Greenblatts, Whites and Adams' for years, given he knew how to actually say everyone's names. He kept calling Hermione Hermy-own-nene. Ginny and I were never going to let her forget it.

Bonnie had been smart enough to put a silencing charm on the tent, but others hadn't. From the other side of the campsite we could still hear much singing, and the odd echoing bang.

"Oh, I am glad I'm not on duty," Dad muttered. "I wouldn't fancy having to go and tell the Bulgarians they've got to stop celebrating."

Bonnie laughed, settling against the couch cushions. "You were amazing," Nora gushed. 

"Thank you," Bonnie sighed. Savannah leaned against her, her heads in her mother's lap, and Krum was on the other side with Charlotte's head on his shoulder. They looked adorably like a little family.

Mary smiled from her cozy armchair. "Thanks for the invitation Bon, you were incredible, just like old times," she said, and the adults smiled sadly.

There was silence before George spoke. "Can I ask you something?" he looked at Bonnie, who sighed.

"What did we say, Weaslebee?" Savannah groaned at him. 

"It's fine, Sana, really,"  Bonnie stroked her hair. "Shoot."

"You went to Hogwarts, didn't you? Why didn't you play for England? Why did you choose the Bulgarian team?" George asked.

Bonnie closed her eyes. "I didn't get much of a choice. It was a time when women were expected to be wives, not independent. No Quidditch teams wanted a women. I wouldn't be here without your father, James Potter."

I sat up. "What?"

Bonnie chuckled. "James and I were on the same Quidditch Team. During the war, we met up, and he asked me how my career was going. I told him the truth, and he thought that was the biggest pile of bull shit he had ever heard in his life. He wouldn't understand, because he had the three things that guaranteed him life time immunity," she said. 

"What were they?" Charlie asked.

"He was a rich male pureblood, and that means he has everything. Even a rich pureblood woman wouldn't be able to get far without a husband. James wouldn't accept my defeat, and reached out to an old acquaintance of his, trying to find non-sexist Quidditch Teams. Bulgaria was the only one that responded, and I got paid the same as a male chaser. After my first match, England wanted me on their team, but would only be willing to pay a third of what they would pay a man. I turned it down, and have stayed with Bulgaria ever since," Bonnie finished.

The males were silent, looking deep in thought. 

Their thoughts were interrupted by screaming outside. We shot up, and I ran outside to look. The noises in the campsite had changed. The singing had stopped. I could hear screams, and the could see dimly people running away into the woods, fleeing something that was moving across the field towards them, something that was emitting odd flashes of light, and noises like gunfire. Loud jeering, roars of laughter and drunken yells were drifting towards them; then came a burst of strong green light, which illuminated the scene.