Part 1: Mogami's Student

You were born sick, and you were expected to die sick as well.

You'd always been bed bound, but things didn't get really serious until about age eight when you had to be suddenly rushed to the hospital.

No one really knew what was up. No other illness exactly like it had been recorded. You were just...dying, simple as that.

The stress weighed down on your parents so much that they rarely visited or called. They had another kid after the hospital became your forever home...so, I guess they were moving on already.

At least there were plenty of spirits to talk to! Hospitals were known for being a pretty lonely place, so you were so lucky to have abilities that let you see and hear them. Granted, this usually meant you were given a lot of crazy looks by the nurses, but that was hardly even a price to pay for some good company.

Apparently, hospitals were often full of spirits! Since there were so many who had died alone, it was rather common for them to stick around and be there for anyone else dying, so at the very least they could be there for the soul after it had left the body. They also liked little Esper kids like you for the very reason that you could still talk to them while alive. And since you lived in that hospital for a good three years now, your name was well known among both spirits and living people alike!

But then, at age 11, a presence like none other entered the hospital. It started off as just a rumor. That an ancient spirit would be arriving soon to gobble up all the low level spirits. Apparently, some higher level spirits did this, which was known among them as "harvesting." When a strong one would visit a hospital, graveyard, or any other haunted place and consume as many as possible in order to build their own strength. Such a rumor was terrifying. Even ghosts aren't safe from death, I guess.

All of the spirits said a farewell to you before either passing on to the after life or wandering away to haunt some other place. Either way, you were left very much alone...

That's when the presence appeared. A strong aura entered and scoured the halls. You hid under your covers, eyes peeking out. A purple blob phased through the door to your room. Looked like a lady spirit. Her brows were creased and she bit her lip angrily upon entering. "####, they must have heard I was on my way and scrammed!" So this really was the evil spirit, then..

"Heh-he-hey.." You weakly called to her.

"Huh..?" The spirit turned at the door and lifted a brow. Her eyes landed on you and she realized you were staring directly at her. "...Oh wow. It's been a good couple centuries since I last saw an Esper as young as you. What do you want?"

"I was just wondering if you could.. maybe.. not eat my friends...?" Your voice was so meek.

"Huh? Wait, what's your name, kid?"

"(Y/n).."

"Uhuhh.. And how exactly am I supposed to know who is and isn't your friend?"

"Maybe you could just... I dunno.. only eat the monster spirits?"

"...Now hold up how do you know about those kind of spirits? By the looks of it, you haven't left your bed since the day you were born!" The spirit had a lot of sass.

"My-my friends tell me all kinds of stories, both from their lives before and after death!" You smiled a little. "..It really sounds like fun... Y'know.. being able to live a life..." You laid your head back and sighed. The only times when you got to have a look around at the world was when the ambulance staff had nothing else to do, so they sometimes offered to drive you around town. Those were fun, but you always dreamed of getting up and walking to go on an adventure of your own.