Part 8: Sorry I Forgot

The early morning's glow was only just beginning to peek through the curtains when a woman was woken from her slumber. Her phone buzzed on the desk beside the king size bed. She rolled over groggily, one hand combing through her ginger hair.

          Beep - She accepted the call.

"Yeah?" She'd only gotten into bed a few hours prior. "I'm a suspect for what..? Hold on... Wh-what happened? ... Okay... I'll be there soon."

"Mm.. What is it, hun?" Reigen rolled over in bed, his arm falling over her hip. She pushed herself up with a huff.

"My.. The hospital had 'n break in last night... I'm gunna'be gone..all day I think..."

"Whh?" The man lifted his dreary head. It was too early for this.

"It's 'kay... Y' can go back to sleep.." The nurse stood up from the bed and sluggishly opened a drawer beside it to grab work clothes from. "Just remember to......"

Reigen didn't need to hear anything else to convince him to go back to sleep. He was out before his wife could even finish her sentence.

----------

          Beep! Beep! Beep!

"Uuhhhgghhh..." Having completely forgotten about earlier that morning, Reigen prepared for work in his typical fashion, kinda slow but efficient with his time.

"Moomm!"
"MOM!"
"Momomomom!!"

"What is it you two?" The dad tiredly poked his head out the bathroom door and asked his children, who were both at a loss and circling the entryway rug shouting for their mother.

"Dad, where's Mom?" Kodi asked. Reigen rubbed his face.

"..I don't know, Kodi, maybe you should--" Suddenly, he remembered. "S###.."

-----

"Come on. Hurry, hurry, out the door!" Reigen herded his children over the little front lawn they had and into their small brown car. He grumbled under his breath as at last the two were buckled and not running around everywhere. Honestly, how did Emmi even do this every day?

Along the tediously long drive to school, Reigen plucked his phone from his pocket. "Heyy, Yaoyoro! Yeahh, I'm going to be a little late today.. Mind holding down the fort while I'm gone..? .... We'll talk about that raise later."

"Daddy, why do you think Master Kageyama didn't have us over on Monday?!" Kodi shouted from the back seat, startling his father and making him drop the phone.

"Crap, where did it go?! Can you see my phone, kids??"

"Nope!" Shey answered without even trying to look for it.

"It's in the crack!"

"Ugh.. I'll have to fish it out later..."

-----

"Alright, this is your stop, Kodi." Reigen pulled in to the school's drop-off area.

"Wait, but mom was going to talk to the teachers today-"

"-Well I don't know what she was going to say to them, so what should I do?!" Reigen rose his voice a little too high this chaotic morning. Kodi's head lowered, pain obvious in his big eyes. "Hhh, I'm sorry, Kodi... I shouldn't have raised my voice like that..."

"It's okay, Dad..." The young blond opened his door and timidly exited the car. After the boy closer the door behind him, Reigen sank into his chair with a big sigh.