1: Familiarities of a Beginning

The same cheery tune from last night played throughout the school.

"Good morning, students! It is 8 A.M., so get up right now! Let us start a new day filled with that overwhelming despair! Or maybe you woke up with hope? That doesn't matter. Get to the dining hall now." Monokuma announced on the monitor in Shuttle's room.

"Augh..." He groaned. Before he could even sit up, someone was banging on his door. "Yeah, I'm coming." Shuttle got up and opened the door to see Cele.

"Hello. If that's fine, I wanted to make up for Elio's terrible behavior from yesterday by hanging out with you for today." Cele offered with a smile.

"Sure, besides some of my relatives, I barely know anyone here. It'd be nice to get to know you more." Shuttle chuckled.

"Very well. Shall we get going then?" Cele asked.

"Of course! Besides, I don't think that robot bear has any more patience."

"Hey! I have a name, and it's Monokuma! You should get to the dining hall now, or I'll punish you two!" He yelled as he suddenly appeared.

"Aaaaahh!" Cele shrieked. "H-How long have you been there?!"

"Just now. You should still go, by the way. You heard what I will do to you if you don't!"

"All right, we're going!" Shuttle grabbed Cele's wrist as he ran to the dining hall, bursting through the door.

"Erm, what the hell was that for?" Elio looked from a mug full of water.

"They were just escaping death caused by me. No need to worry!" Monokuma beamed as Shuttle stepped back from him. "What? I just wanted to gather you all here to announce your first motive."

"For what?" Ali asked.

"For killing, of course. What else did you expect?"

"You're still on the killing thing? But— But why?!" Meri worriedly yelled.

"What do you expect from me? I'm a killin' machine ready for slaughter!" Monokuma cackled. "Anyway, your motive is called the Hungry Culprit. You just get to kill as many people as you want to. That... That's pretty much it. Not to forget, I get to help you orchestrate your murder."

"Really? I expected something like a time limit." Gehenna said.

"Good idea! Thank you, Gehenna! You also get a time limit. Tomorrow, if murder doesn't happen by midnight, everyone here dies to a million identical clones of me." Monokuma held his head high.

"Aw, seriously? You had to butt that in, Gehenna?" Renory grumbled and sighed, his head on the table. "Now someone has to die, or we all will." Ron, in the seat beside Renory's, concerningly turned to him as Renory lifted his head and chuckled. "Thanks."

"Sorry..." Gehenna hung her head.

"Well, what should we do now? We're doomed if no one dies by tomorrow." Eliyen asked as Monokuma disappeared without a sound. She turned to Cairo, who was frantically writing, "I don't know."

"We wait. There isn't a way to ensure that Monokuma is serious about that." Ali said.

"That's too boring. How about I do the job, and we don't have to wait? Who wants to die?" Jodie sinisterly asked as she raised a spiked bat from behind.

"Ooh, me! I do!" Elio jumped from his seat, almost like he was a different person.

Cele firmly grabbed his wrist, forcing him back down into his chair. "No!"

"Jodie, you're pretty boorish for a bright-looking individual like you," Ali observed.

"Shut up." She vexedly aimed her bat at Ali. "You don't know why. So get your nose out of my business and into your own."