5: Malignant Masquerade (Deadly Life)

Four notes played in an angelic, harmonious melody.

"A body has been discovered! It seems you're all at the gym already. After a specific amount of time has passed, a Class Trial will commence!" Monokuma announced.

"Ron... He's dead?" Little stared at the ceiling in disbelief. "So that's why... That's why he made you send me that message. They were his last words to me." He muttered regretfully.

"I... I'm so sorry that he died." Cele sympathized. "I know he meant a lot to you. I understand how you feel."

"Enough lamenting, students! Fear not, for thy Monokuma File #5 is here!" Monokuma randomly appeared as he handed out several tablets like handing out assignments.

Ron, the Ultimate Chef, was approximately 5' 9" and 143 lbs. Ron's blood type was B+. His cause of death was exsanguination, and the estimated time of death was 11:00 PM. He was crucified to a large, wooden board, and his neck was slit. The back of his neck appears to have been hit with a blunt object. No other external or internal injuries have been found. An image of Ron was shown in the bottom right corner as a model to showcase the description more simply, with a transparent pink circle in the palms of his hands and ankles, along with a thin line on his neck.

"Monokuma File #5" has been added to the Truth Bullets section of Shuttle's Monopad.

"Have you all finished reading? Great!" Monokuma cheered.

"Wait, how are we gonna inspect the body? It's all the way on the ceiling." Sahara looked up.

"No worries. I have the perfect solution for that!" Monokuma grabbed a comically large grabber and gently tugged on the piece of board that Ron was nailed to. It came off, and he set the board on the ground. "You're very welcome, students. I shouldn't be tampering with the crime scene, but for your sake, and to make it fair, I had to. So you better be grateful for your dearest principal!"

"Yeah, sure, thanks." Elio rolled his eyes.

"By the way, you should pay attention to the ceiling before I patch it up after today." Monokuma noted before disappearing.

And with that, Investigation Time started.

Little sighed angrily. "Shuttle, you're... You're the only one I have left. Can I please work with you just this once on the investigation?"

"Sure. I don't see why not, honestly." Shuttle nodded.

"Thanks." Little crossed his arms with a confident yet hesitant smile. "Now, let's put the criminal behind Ron's killing to justice."

"Is it fine if I stay with him as well?" Cele butted in.

"Of course, I mean, you're one of my dearest friends who've helped me a lot." Shuttle smiled.

"Nice. Let's examine his body first." Cele walked up to the board with Shuttle and Little following along.

The body was exactly as the Monokuma File described it. His palms were nailed to the board, and there was a shallow cut on the center of his throat. His expression was unnaturally relaxed, as if he was drugged and just woke up.

"Isn't his face weird? If he was just murdered like this, wouldn't he be all scared or something like that?" Little queried, observing Ron's head.

"The Monokuma File did say that he had a wound on his nape, so he was probably knocked out before all... This happened." Shuttle decided.

"Another thing, notice how all the places he'd been impaled with a nail have been cleaned up? Wouldn't they be bleeding like crazy?" Cele turned to Shuttle.