5: Malignant Masquerade

"What're you doing out here so late?" A voice asked.

"I'm trying everything to forget." Another replied.

"Forget what?" The first voice questioned. Before the other voice could reply, Shuttle woke to the morning announcement.

"This is an official announcement from Ultimate Hope High! It is now 8 A.M., which is morning time! Get up and move around, none of you have been taking walks or venturing more of the school at all!" Monokuma announced on the monitor before it shut off.

"Could a murder really still happen?" He asked himself. Before he could continue his thoughts, someone began knocking on his door. Shuttle got up and opened it to see Cele with a smile.

"Come on," Cele grabbed Shuttle's hand and tugged on it. "We've got a lot of good news today!"

"All right, I'm coming! Just don't run so fast..." Shuttle groaned as he followed Cele's lead. She burst open the dining hall doors, leaving everyone startled.

"We're here!" She happily announced. "I— Sorry, was that too abrupt?"

"Holy fuck— Maybe open the door more gently than you just did next time!" Ron vexedly yelled. "Do you think we'd not jump after that?!"

"I don't see your point... The best I did as a flinch was blink." Elio blankly stated. He turned back to his book, pored in the story, and snickered. "Refusing to get an apple out of flesh... Hah."

"Hey, wait, now that we finished another trial, shouldn't we be getting–" Gehenna started before Monokuma appeared out of thin air.

"Your dearest gifts and motive?" He suddenly asked. Gehenna and Sahara yelped out of fear with Gehenna toppling over in her chair.

"Oh come on. You people have to already be used to his abrupt appearances." Elio glared. "He's done this about like, what, millions of times?"

"Well, sorry that we didn't expect him to come with such perfect timing!" Sahara complained.

"Students! Calm down. Here are your gifts, personally handled with care!" Monokuma handed out an antique-looking key, a pair of goggles, a shadow puppet in the shape of a ghost, a shield, and a small paramedic bag. Everyone stared at them in disappointment and looked back at Monokuma.

"I know who these items are based on, but why now? Aren't they dead?" Sahara asked.

"Because they're relevant now."

"And in what way are they relevant?" Ron questioned.

"You'll find out soon!" Monokuma replied. "Oh, by the way, I'll tell you your motive for now!"

"What is it? Let me guess, it has to do with murder again?" Sahara scowled.

"Nope. Your motive is finding a student list book of everyone here before you arrived at Ultimate Hope High! It's got everyone's talents, and our little mastermind has a side note saying their true Ultimate! It's hidden somewhere in this school, so once you're all done, go find it!" Monokuma replied as he vanished. Ron sighed and shook his head.

"I swear he's getting weirder and weirder every day we're here." Ron scoffed. Slowly, everyone left the dining hall. Shuttle sat on the edge of his bed. Didn't Cele say she'd tell me what she found on Bob's board? He asked himself.

And with that, free time started.

"Shuttle!" Someone knocked on his door. He got up and opened it to see Cele with a troubled look.

"What is it?" He queried.

"Well, you know how I'd tell you my findings on Bob's board, right?"

"Yeah, why?"