03. ROMY'S NEW JACKET

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓* * *

September 1994

There was a clear idea in Romy's head. That was to get rid off Cedric Diggory so she would feel less miserable.

He wasn't that bad sometimes, she just started to grow annoyed by his mere presence. Everything about him hurt her.

In order to do that, she needed help and she knew exactly who to ask.

"Mum!" She walked into her mother's office, calling her.

"Hi, my love. What is it?" Juliet said, her head still purged into the essays she was correcting, but a small smile emerging on her lips the second her daughter's presence embraced the room.

"Mum, do you..." She paused. "Would you be disappointed if I were to give up my Prefect badge?"

The small voice of her darling daughter finally had the mother raising her head, staring up at the little blonde. "What makes you say that?"

"I just... I don't feel like I should be a Prefect. I'm not that good of a student, and just because people like me, should not be a reason I was elected." Romy explained, avoiding eye-contact.

Juliet smiled. Romy reminded her so much of Remus, and not just because of her chocolate brown eyes and her lighter hair.

"That wasn't my question. What makes you think you could ever disappoint me?"

"Mum.." Romy whined. Her mother always got corny with her.

The Professor chuckled. "I love you. And I'm proud of you. Prefect badge or not. But you should think about it a little. Avoiding Cedric Diggory may be enough of a reason right now but maybe not in a few months."

"How did you-"

"Mothers always know. Mine did anyways." Juliet shrugged.

Romy fiddled with her fingers. "Did nana ever protect you from anyone... pushy?"

Romy called Hope 'grandma' but every time she referred to her maternal grandmother that had passed a long time ago, she called Euphemia 'nana'. Juliet found it adorable. She liked talking about her deceased mother with Romy, it felt like she was still around and her daughter could get to know her.

"She tried. Why? Is someone bothering you?"

"Cedric, mum. Keep up." Romy rolled her eyes.

"Don't give me attitude missy, you two became enemies out of nowhere." Juliet raised an eyebrow.

"It's been four years!"

"If it's been that long, why can't you make up already?"

Juliet had a point. Romy knew it. So she just walked out, mumbling under her breath.