06. ROMY IS A SUCKER FOR LOVE STORIES

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓* * *

November 1994

"Dad, I need help with an assignment." Romy walked into her father's office, holding a parchment in hand.

Remus, who was arranging his book shelf, glanced at his daughter upon her arrival before getting back to his task. "Romy, your mother and I warned you we can't help you out much, it gives you an unfair advantage."

"No, you told me you can't help me with your own subjects. I need help with my History of Magic homework." She retorted.

The D.A.D.A. Professor raised his eyebrows, a bit surprised by her sharp-witted response.

"Okay, you got me there." He chuckled, inviting her to sit at his desk, as he also took a seat. "History of Magic, you said? Why do you always come to me with the boring stuff. What's it about?"

"The Werewolf Code of Conduct. Figured you'd know about it."

"You don't say." Remus raised an eyebrow.

It still felt weird for him, the fact that his kids grew up knowing about his lycanthropy. Juliet had insisted they let their kids know when they were old enough to understand, which was around four years old for the both of them.

Remus truly didn't want to. He wanted his children to see him as a normal dad. But he knew it was inevitable when they would watch him leave once a month with their big puppy eyes, crying and asking him not to leave them.

Juliet reassured him the best she could. The way they would react would be in line with the way they were raised. And both children had big hearts and open minds.

Once they understood, they stopped making it difficult for him to leave, and they would leave him be until he was recovered enough to play with them. He did always feel a sense of guilt however, he felt as though everyone had to walk on eggshells around him and children shouldn't be forced to do that.

But that's Remus for you. Sometimes it was just beyond him that his children just loved him, and didn't care that he turned into a wolf once a month. Besides, thanks to their mother's Potions, he was harmless now.

Anyway, after explaining the Werewolf Conduct Code to Romy, about how no one signed it because of the stigma that continued to reign, he advised her to add in the recent changes the Werewolf Registery had gone under due to Juliet's entire hold over the Ministry while she worked there.

"Aren't I basically boasting about my mother?" Romy laughed.

"What reasons would you have not to?" Remus smirked proudly. "You don't have to mention her, you can just compare the stigma with the situation now."

Romy nodded, writing a few more notes before wrapping up her parchment. "Mum really did wonders in the world, hm?"

The werewolf paused, his heart swelling with joy and love. Man, Juliet would have loved to hear this. She dedicated her youth to pave a better world for her daughter and son, and it seemed at least one of them recognized it.

"She did. She always does in my eyes."

His daughter smiled, laying her head onto her arms that were resting on his desk, staring up at his forever lovesick expression.

"What?" He grinned, catching her staring.

"Nothing. I just think it's nice, how much you and mum love each other." Romy shrugged.

"You'll know a love like that too." He encouraged, before pausing, his expression changing. "Not too soon though. And I have to meet them."

"Dad." The blonde girl rolled her eyes, before her face fell into a sulk. "I know I have my whole life in front of me and all that, but sometimes I wish I had met my true love here, like you and mum. And literally everyone else we know."

"Come on, that's not true."

"Molly and Arthur. Mary and Fabian. Auntie Andromeda and Ted, Daphne and Amos, Marlene and Dorcas, Pandora and-"

"Okay I get the message." He cut her off. "Fine, a lot of us met our partners at Hogwarts. But you know who didn't? My parents."

"That does not come out as a surprise, grandma is a Muggle." Romy raised an eyebrow at him.

"True." He nodded. "I take it you don't want to know their story?"

"No, tell me!"

So he told her all about it. About his father saving his mother from a boggart, confessing later that it represented no threat to her. He told her about their wedding cake representing that same boggart.

He noticed the heart eyes Romy was doing and smiled. It was so clear that she dreamed of her very own love story, her own prince charming, knight in shining armor. Romy was such a sucker for romantic gestures.

She clearly had that from himself, because Juliet wished to stab her own eyeballs when she thought back to their past, where they would quote Shakespeare to each other in a secretive attempt to serenade each other.

"How did mum discover you were a werewolf?" Romy questioned him after a minute of pleasant silence between them.

"She had run into the forest, in search of a child gone missing, completely disregarding the fact that she was putting herself in danger on a full-moon. She found the child but I found her first." Romy gasped, invested.

He continued. "I tried attacking but she protected the child, transforming into her Animagus form and getting in between us. Then James, Sirius and Peter intervened and kept me occupied until they escaped and it was dawn again."

"And then?? Did mum confront you? Was she okay?" The Hufflepuff questioned.

"No. I... I hurt your mum when I was trying to grab the child. So she explained to me that she saw me in the forest, that she was the horse."

"That's a weird thing to say."

"I know!"

"Did you feel guilty?"

Remus nodded. "She assured me it wasn't my fault, but I couldn't get over the fact that I hurt her. I will never. I will forever hate myself for having caused one of the permanent scars on her body." He shook his head, visibly still disappointed with himself. "She was nothing but good to me, and I've deceived her so many times."

"Don't say that, dad. I'm sure she feels the same way about you." Romy reassured.

Remus chuckled. "You're probably right. But we have each other to remind us that our love is stronger."

Andromeda hummed, with a smile on her face. She never got sick of hearing of her parent's story. Every day there seemed to be more to hear about. Every day she wanted a love like theirs.

* * *

Happy birthday Remus