11. ESPECIALLY NOT ME, ROMY

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓* * *

December 1994

The last trip to Hogsmeade of the year always took place ten days before Christmas break. Well, last trip of the year itself, not school year, the teenagers knew there were many more to come.

But that one, was the most chaotic. It was the opportunity for the teenagers to gather all the Christmas gifts for their friends and families, all the while trying to find the time to have fun.

Since their third year, Lola, Kyra, Rose and Andromeda had made it their tradition to run around, grab onto the gifts they needed to buy and meet again the very next hour at the Three Broomsticks and be joined by the boys.

Romy, despite her talents and her little side hustle, didn't always gift her creations. She didn't want her friends and relatives to get tired of it. Of course, everything she made was made with love, but just because she was creative, didn't mean that she had to force her work into someone else's grateful hands.

She always saw the beauty in gift-giving. It was something personal, something that one holds dear to heart. It must be something the receiver likes, not something she knows how to make.

Every year, the first gifts to be bought would be that of her parents, brother, Harry, and uncles. She would then proceed to buy gifts for her best friends, and smaller gifts went to family friends.

Rose, in contrast to Romy who always seemed to know everything she would be getting for everyone, just wandered along the stores and would pick something that reminded her of her friends. Also, she wasn't from a rich family either. So she would buy a gift for her grandmother, one for each of her three best friends, and bags of candies from Honeydukes went to her other friends.

That year however, she wondered if she ought to buy one more gift. In a way, it seemed bizarre to buy a gift for someone that she just recently started talking to, but also, if she didn't, she'd feel like she was being rude.

Oh well, perhaps she could buy something simple so it wouldn't look like a big deal. His birthday was coming up soon too.

She wandered around in Tomes and Scrolls, thinking that maybe she would find a book that would be interesting to him. Until she arrived in a smaller section dedicated to supplies at the back of the shop.

There, the first thing she spotted was a journal with a vintage black leather cover. She stared at the blank pages it contained, and thought that it would be appropriate. She didn't know him that much anyways, it wouldn't be the best idea to assume he would like something.

Plus, Mattheo seemed to like doodling.

~

"There she is!" Lola exclaimed, seeing Rose come out of an alley, looking around for her friends with a bag in hand.