13. ROSE'S LETTER TO MATTHEO

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓* * *

December 25th, 1994

Mattheo didn't really know what to expect when he went to open the gift he received from Rose on the morning of the 25th of December.

He went to unwrap it, and was pleasantly surprised when he saw the journal she had gifted him. He ran his fingers on the black leather cover before he opened it to take a look inside.

Not like he would find anything inside, it was a journal, of course the pages would be blank.

But there was something in it. When he lifted it, something fell from the journal. A letter. He carefully placed the gift down and picked up the letter, to open it.

"Dear Mattheo Riddle,

I will admit, this is a terrible way to start a letter. I feel like I'm writing to a Professor, and I kid you not, I sat in front of the blank paper for a good five minutes, contemplating how to address you.

Seriously, how should I address you? I mean, we never really talked about it, and our meet-ups happened so naturally that I wanted to feel free and write you as a friend, but I don't want to pressure you into seeing me as a friend.

Then again, I did give you a gift for Christmas... Oh, whatever, just accept it and move on if you don't see me as a friend, it's okay. Or throw it away, that's okay too.

But if I am even considered as an acquaintance, I would love to hear back from you. Maybe you could tell me how you spend your days when you're not at Hogwarts. I'm very curious of what you could be possibly plotting in the dark corners of your room.

Did you like your gift? I know it's nothing special, but I thought of you when I saw it. That's kind of how I pick out every gift to be honest. But don't you dare flatter yourself and tease me with it, you weren't weighing on my mind, I just felt it would be right.

I think it would be a great friend to you on days you cherish your loneliness and simultaneously wish you had company.

Otherwise, know that I would be delighted to hear you out whenever you have something to tell. Surely, you've got gossip to share too, the quiet ones always do.

With my very best wishes,

Rose Valentine."

Mattheo couldn't help the small smile on his lips. It was clear she attempted her best not to seem awkward with it, and it weighed between the formal and informal with some subtle humor. He found it considerate, how she tried to make him feel at ease, and contemplated whether he should write back.