09. ROMY DOESN'T KNOW GRIEF

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕾𝖜𝖊𝖊𝖙 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖑𝖉𝖊𝖓* * *

December 2nd, 1994

When Romy knocked on her mother's office door, she was not really expecting an answer. On these days, Juliet tended to just space out. Her mind would be in another world, and she would never really be there.

There was a time where she would spend the entire day with Remus, but as the years passed and their jobs separated them on that specific day, she found a certain sense of peace in spending the day mourning alone sometimes. Her daughter came to see her every day though, just like her son would visit his dad first. Then they would switch and visit the other parent, but this is mostly how it went, perhaps because those pairs had a better understanding of each other's characters.

Now that there were all under the same grand roof again, at the same very place where they had battled for their lives, it all felt so different.

Because of the obvious state of the Professors and just the mood all together, Professor McGonagall did ultimately decide to cancel all classes on the 1st and 2nd of December every year, and unlucky were the years where those fell on the weekend.

Let's be honest, the kids were happy about the day off.

So, back to the story, Andromeda was not expecting an answer. She was expecting her mother to be unresponsive again, just crawled in a corner of her bed like a scared toddler. However, her mother had found a better way to handle her grievance.

"Come in." She called out, voice shaky.

Opening the door, and peeking in, the blonde was quick to notice her mother comfortably sitting on her couch, hugging a photo album with tears in her eyes.

"Oh, mum." Romy let out a breath, it wasn't a nice feeling to see her mother like that. She walked in, closing the door and going to sit next to her after putting the little gift bag on the table.

"Hi, baby. It's Friday, why aren't you with your friends?" Juliet gave her daughter a small smile through her tears, stroking her blonde hair affectionately.

She knew her daughter and her friends had this tradition of having a girls' night away from all of their boy friends in the Hufflepuff girls' dorms. It was mostly just Kyra, Lola, Rose and Romy on those days. Luna, Ginny and Hermione were always welcome to join them, but they admittedly felt out of place so only joined on occasion.

"And leave you alone, today of all days? Nah."

"You know your brother is going to come see me eventually." Her mother pointed out.