filipendulous

hanging by a thread

Tris and I led Caleb, Marcus and Andrew to the Dauntless compound, we took the train that passes the rooftops. Tris figured that since it's an entrance only used in initaition, they wouldn't suspect an entry there. "Where's Tobias?" I asked her, realising that she hadn't mentioned him this whole time,

She hesitated before she spoke, "...they've got him." she said nervously, "Jeanine found him awake and they took him back to the compound to run tests on him."

"Wait, he's divergent??"

"Not quite, he's normal, but it's like he's trying to be divergent. I managed to wake him up." she shrugged, "How are you awake?"

"It's a long story, but I managed to dodge the 'vaccinations' after the ceremony." I didn't want to tell her about Peter, I knew she didn't trust him and it might be a bad time to mention that I've made out with the guy that tried to kill her multiple times. I looked out the window of the train and noticed we were getting closer to our destination. I opened the doors and looked our, sure enough, the dauntless compound was only a few seconds ahead, "Get ready, you're not gonna like this." I said to the guys.

The building rushed past us and I pushed myself off the train, crashing into the gravel, thankfully landing on my feet this time. The others followed out after, slightly less graceful than Tris and I. Tris pulled her dad and brother off the ground before running over to the ledge, I left Marcus behind to pull himself off the ground. "There's a net at the bottom," Tris jumped up onto the edge of the pit, "Don't think, just jump." and she dropped down into the darkness below.

I helped the others go down first before jumping down myself, the boys all wobbled when touching the ground again. Tris shoved guns into their hands and they looked at her like she was crazy, "It's that, or death, you choose." I rolled my eyes at them, that shut them up quickly.

I let Tris lead the way through the halls and trailed at the back of the group. Upon reaching the chasm, we stopped, Tris had someone pinned up against the wall around the corner, "Against the wall!" she ordered them, "Why are you awake?" she asked,

"Because I'm smarter than you, and they need me." I know that voice.

"Where are they controlling it from?" she ignored Peter's snarky comment and I made my way over to them.

"Why would I tell you that? It's not like you're gonna shoot me." I wouldn't say that if I were you.

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" Tris seemed genuinely offended and pointed her gun at his arm, taking a shot.

"Tris!" I shouted, "I mean he kinda asked for it but really?" Peter doubled over, grabbing his arm and wincing in pain,

Tris sent me a warning glare, damn okay, remind me not to get on her bad side, "Where are they controlling it from?" she repeated. Peter scrunched up his face slightly and frowned, i swear if this boy is going to be stubborn, I'll shoot him again myself. I glared at him and shook my head, knowing Tris would definitely kill him if he kept pushing her. He sighed and pulled himself up, walking away and towards the testing centre.

We reached a hallway with some guards stood at the end, all of us dove around a corner, "It's there isn't it?" Tris asked, "I've seen Jeanine go in there." Peter nodded. I looked around the corner, there were about five guards. We outnumbered them but there's no way we'd make it past them, especially since not all of us are dauntless.

"Did you really need to shoot him?" Marcus judged Tris as he looked down on Peter sympathetically. Is he fucking for real?

"Every minute we waste, another Abnegation dies and another Dauntless becomes a murderer." she snapped back at him, making me snicker a little at the idea of a 16-year-old girl putting a 50-year-old man in his place. "We need to get in there, that's where they're controlling it from."