Chapter 10

Dana's already waiting by the door when I walk outside. We walk to the path that Dana says people always run on.

"What happened with you and Tami?" She asks. I stare at the ground.

"She found new friends."

"Ah." She sighs. "Then she's not a true friend. Adam and I are your friend. And Archer. Tou can count on us."

"Archer probably feels forced to because I saved his life."

"No, Archer is a special human being, I'll tell ya. He cares about other people more than himself. I know you haven't really gotten to know more males, but when you do you'll realize how special Archer really is. I knew it the very first time I saw you guys. He'll always be there for you. I really do think he cares for you, more than anyone else."

I smile a little. "He almost died and he was wondering how I was doing."

"And he's probably going to do that until his heart stops beating," Dana says. We stop in front of the path. "Ready?" I nod and we start running down the path. It reminds me when Tami, Archer and I were running for our lives. That was only two days ago. Two days ago Tami and I were best friends...

My throat starts to burn after a while, and I can't help but slow down.

"Oh come on Mia!" Dana says.

"I can't," I spit out, slowing down even more.

"It's alright," she says, slowing down. "You did pretty good."

We jog slow the rest of the way back. I go back to my room and quick shower. Then I meet Adam, Dana and Archer for breakfast. I eat yet another big meal, then Archer and I head to the range for our shooting lesson. There's a few people there practicing, but a man walks up to us.

"You the newbies?" He asks, and we both nod.

"I'm Jackson, the "teacher", I guess." He's maybe in his late twenties, with spiked hair. His tight shirt shows off his muscles. "You guys ever shot a gun before?"

Archer nods while I shake my head no. He tosses Archer a gun. "Show me what you got, kid." He gestures toward the target. Archer holds the gun up, and shoots three times, each one hitting the middle of the target.

"Show off." I mumble, and he laughs, handing me the gun. Jackson teaches me the technique, and I raise the gun and shoot. I miss the target.

"Dang it."

"You got the form, you just need to practice," Jackson says.

After shooting for who knows how long, I hit the target.

"Show off." Archer hisses, and I smile.

***

We shoot for a good hour, also learning how to throw knives. I get better, actually hitting the target every time.

We walk back, but I see Dana and Adam looking through the window into the room that I ate in the first night.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"They are having a meeting. Talking about some mission," Adam says.

Archer then runs through the door.

"Archer!" I say, then I follow him through the door.

There's a small group of people, with Dave facing them all.

"As you all know, dome one is the closest one with the government. We need to attack them, to scare the government," Dave explains. "I think we should burn down their assembly building. But it's risky. The chances of being caught are high. So, I guess I'm asking for volunteers."

Archer runs through the group of people to the front. I follow him.

"Me." Archer says.

"What are you two doing here?" Dave asks.

"Here to volunteer for the mission. I'm quick, I can do it." He says.

"Me too," I say.

"It's too dangerous," Dave explains.

"We've been through worse than that. We can do it," Archer explains.

Dave sighs, knowing Archer will probably go even if he said no. "Are there any other volunteers?"

A few hands raise.

"Huh, I think you need just a few more," Archer smiles.

"Fine, you two are in. But I tried to warn you, alright?"

"Alright," I answer back.

"We are doing it this evening. It'll catch them off guard. Meet by the entrance in an hour." Dave says, and everyone leaves.

Adam and Dana's faces grow pale when we tell them we're going on the mission. We lie and tell them it's not a big deal, and sit with them until the hours up. Archer and I meet everyone by the front entrance.

"Dome one is only a few miles away, so we're going to walk. I already handed some of you supplies. The rest of you will help. Let's head out," Dave says, and we all start to walk. I take a look at Archer with a 'what the hell did we just get into?' face. All he does is nod at me. I take a deep breath and look forward.

Can I do this?

I wanted to be strong. I wanted to help. But I may be jumping into this too quickly. It's a risky task, so risky nobody really wanted to do it.

"You okay?" Archer asks.

"Nervous."

"Good. Then your ready."

I smile at him, but my body is so shaky. The closer I get to dome one, the faster my heart beats.

"It's just over the hill. We are going to sprint." Dave says after a while of walking. I feel like I'll faint any minute.

Yes, after a few big meals and a run, I'm ready for a huge mission. What am I doing?

"Go!" Dave screams, and I find myself running.

Running. Again. Nonstop running.

We sprint closer and closer until we are right at the dome. Dave unlocks a large door, and I don't know how. I hear sirens go off.

We run into the dome, and I see females everywhere, some running for cover, others heading toward us. I run right on Archer's heels. We reach the assembly building and someone sets it on fire right away.

I don't even have the time to react when im pushed to the ground. I look up and see a women. She's about to kneel down and punch me, but I swing my legs, tripping her. I run away, not wanting to throw any punches.

"Let's go!" I hear Dave. I head back to the door, not even seeing anyone else with me. I quick look back, but slam into something in front of me, knocking me over. I feel hands on me, dragging me up. It's blurry for a second, but I gain my vision. I see a women holding me, and I panic. "Would you look at that. A young one!" The women holding me says.

"Got an older one here." I look at another women, holding a guy who belongs to the Alliance. He fights as two women hold him down.

"Two young ones." Another women speaks, walking over to us. I look over and see the women. And Archer is in her arms.

The women holding me whispers in my ear. I cringe.

"Your gonna wish you stayed home, little girl."

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank you guys for reading my story, and also voting and commenting! It really means a lot😊 THANK YOU!!💕💕💕

-Grace