Chapter 32

"Gosh, that camera is annoying," I whisper to myself. I just woke up five minutes ago, and it's been adjusting, following my every move.

"Don't bother trying to mess with it. They'll just come and beat you." Archer's voice makes me jump. But I should have known he'd be awake. Although I didn't process his actual words until a few seconds after.

"What did you do?"

"I messed with it."

I shake my head, and can't help but smile. Typical Archer, I guess. I watch as he pulls against his cuff, irritated. My own arms ache, to the point where they are just numb. Though the urge to move my arms, spreading them wide and free is strong, and I pull on my cuffs as well. It digs into my raw skin, but that's the least of my worries.

Guards come down, heading towards my cell. I panic as they come in, grabbing me roughly. Archer doesn't yell or try to stop them, we both know it'll be useless. But he does do something else.

"Mia, listen to me," he says quietly. The guards drag me out of my cell, but Archer follows, his head right up to the bars.

"Whatever you do, don't show them fear. It's them who fear you." He says, and I nod before I'm brought up the stairs. I take deep breaths, trying to stay calm as the guards take me to the room I went in when I first got here. I see Tom and his wife, along with Evelyn, holding a big smile.

It's them who fear you.

I hold my head up high, trying my best to be strong. Though Evelyn's grin makes me feel weak, afraid. I'm not dangerous, with guards holding me and my hands tied. And they make sure I know that too. Evelyn walks up to me, pulling a strand of hair from my face. I glare, as Archer would. Though she returns my glare with a sinister smile.

"I thought I'd kill you first. I know Archer would love to see you're dead body," Evelyn hisses, and I swallow down bile.

"I'm not afraid of you, Evelyn." I say simply. I stare at her piercing brown eyes, and I see my own reflection through them.

I see anger.

I never knew my eyes could show anger when I'm about to get killed. I glance at Tom's wife, who sighs excessively.

"Enough talk, can we get to it?" She asks, and Evelyn nods. Guards take my cuffs off, and I feel like falling to my knees and shrinking away from all this.

And my wish almost comes true.

I fly back at the impact, finding myself on my knees. Screams fill the air, screams that I can't place. Tom's? Evelyn's? Mine? I don't know. All I can see is smoke and falling pieces. Though it's was the sound that overall scared me. A huge boom, a cracking wham. My ears ring, a high pitched sound planted in my eardrums. I cough, the smoke swirling around me. My eyes sting, my body feels so heavy. I get up slowly, trying to find my balance under bricks and rubble. I search for a guard, and find myself staring down at a body of one. I reach in his pocket, fumbling around for the keys. I find them and head towards the right, a door no longer there.

"Mia!" I hear someone scream. I stumble, my knees weak and my mind elsewhere.

"Mia! Over here!" I hear the voice again. I turn my head and see Dave standing outside, the wall of the building no longer there. I ignore him, heading for the stairs, some of them missing.

I have to get Archer.

I go down the stairs, choking on smoke as I go. I look up and see Archer standing there, looking at me worriedly. I make my way to his cell, unlocking it. He rushes out and holds me in his arms. I feel his chest going up and down fast, his hand gripping the back of my neck. He lets go and looks into my eyes.

"Are you hurt?" He asks, and I shrug. My whole body is numb, I can't feel a thing. He grips his hand across my back and onto my shoulder. He guides me up the stairs, stopping by a guard to pick up a gun. We head outside, through the broken down wall. I crumple up, too tired to move on. I hear gun shots, possibly from Archer. Then I feel my feet being lifted off the ground. I stare up at Archer, but I feel like sleeping.

"No Mia, you have to stay awake," Archer whispers, shaking me a little. I smile and nod, closing my eyes. "No Mia, keep you're eyes open." I groan, frustrated by the loud noises surrounding me. Tears spill from my eyes when reality hits me.

"Wh-what happened?" I mutter.

"A bomb went off. You were awfully close to it." He says, though his voice is muffled by gun shots. They grow distant after a while, and Archer stops, setting me down in a vehicle seat. Archer leans over, his eyes darting at me.

"Are you sure nothing hurts?" He asks.

"My eyes sting, and there's a pitch in my ear..." I begin, but I'm all too tired. Too frightened. "I think I'm just shocked."

He nods. "That's a natural reaction."

I look up at his worried face, which fascinates me. His dark brown hair falls over his forehead. Dirt covers his face, making his eyes even bluer, if that's possible.

He's beautiful. I think. I don't know how I'm thinking this when I just almost died. But my minds off, traveling to different places every second. I look back up at him.

"I don't like bombs."

He laughs, but then chokes on tears seconds after. He carefully pulls a strand of tangled light brown hair out of my face, and I smile up at him. I reach for his hand and hold it against my chest. I hold it gently, and he lets me.

"We did it again, Mia." Archer says, quick glancing out the window, then back at me.

We did it. We survived.

"This has got to be some sort of record." I say, clinging onto each one of his fingers. I laugh a little, and Archer smiles slightly.

"We're like...our own mini Alliance. You and I."

He nods, his smile giving me a warm, comforting feeling.

"We are. You and I."

Hello!!!!!!!!!

So, what did y'all think of this chapter?!?!

Sad to say, but this book is slowly coming to an end!!! But...there's going to be a book 2!! 😊 no worries

Also please keep voting and commenting! Last time I checked this book was ranked #79 in adventure! Not on the top, but it IS the top 100!!!

Thank you!!!😄💜