15 ~ Deepening ties

∞ Agenor's POV ∞

Here I stood, leading the Martina across the vast sea, my customary place on the forecastle. But this time was different, for beside me stood someone who filled me with pride. His presence seemed to infuse everything with greater meaning and value. I glanced at him, and my eyes locked onto his. His gaze was fixed upon the sea, and it perfectly reflected the blue of his own eyes.

"Feels good standing here, doesn't it?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied, his voice calm but tinged with sadness.

"What were you thinking about?" I pressed.

"Nothing," he said.

I knew better than to accept that answer. "Definitely not nothing. What's on your mind?"

He sighed and then muttered, "You'll probably get angry."

"I won't. What's on your mind?"

"My father... I was thinking about him."

I could understand why he assumed I'd be upset. He struggled to let go of the past. But, for once, I didn't want this conversation to end with him nursing another head injury.

"Your dad was a sailor, right?"

"Yes, one of the best. When I was young, I used to pester him to take me out on his boat."

"Not easy for a kid out there. Especially of noble blood."

"My mother was hard to convince. She worried about storms, me falling overboard, and pirates."

I chuckled. "Wise woman."

"I used to think she was unnecessarily overprotective, but now I see that I shouldn't have. Look where I am now. But, she eventually relented, and my dad taught me everything he knew. He showed me how to navigate between islands, how to read the stars, how to handle ropes, how to mend the sail, and what to do when confronted with a storm. He was the only person who fully supported my dream of becoming a navigator. Everyone else believed that I should learn his trade and become a manager."

"So that's where you got your interest in navigation?"

"I disregarded everyone else's desires and pursued my own, I just wanted to be free. My father supported my choices, so I had no concerns. I had my life mapped out and was on the verge of attending a prestigious navigation school far from home. He started making arrangements for me to make my stay at the school comfortable. All he wanted was for me to focus on my studies. Then he was suddenly very ill. After his passing, I began to question whether I had made the right decision by not adhering to others' wishes. If I had not been so selfish, my mother would not have felt compelled to marry Terry, and my father may have passed away without worrying about his family and the business he spent his best years building. I was very selfish, and because of my ignorance, I am today an ungrateful son."

He abandoned his own aspirations and worked tirelessly to keep a successful business. Yet despite sacrificing his own dreams for the sake of his family, he still cannot shake his feelings of guilt.

"Nyx, your father was a rare exception among fathers. While many abandon their families or sell their daughters to brothels, he was not that kind of man. He would be proud of everything you've accomplished and would want you to continue pursuing your dreams."

Nyx stared at me, a little surprised at my words. He seemed to consider them for a moment before replying with a calm and soothing tone, "Thank you". I nodded, slightly struck by how much his quiet gratitude affected me.