37~Foreplay

∞ Agenor's POV ∞

I gazed at my beloved, witnessing him sighing heavily with a sense of powerlessness. I nestled myself behind his ear, attempting to ease the pain etched on his forehead. Trailing down to his neck, I inhaled his natural scent intermingled with a hint of sweat, a combination that intoxicated and aroused me, compelling me to playfully nip his sensitive earlobe.

He chuckled softly and shyly pulled away, teasing me with his elusive charm. Oh, how he knew I relished the chase. I yearned to capture his lips in a passionate embrace, but I couldn't ignore the exhaustion etched across his face.

A lump formed in my throat, and I couldn't help but ask very calmly, "Nyx, why do you insist on protecting that despicable bastard?"

He furrowed his brow, and I preemptively answered his unspoken question, "Ken doesn't deserve you defending him, and I hardly think he holds any power over you. So why?"

Nyx lowered his gaze, lost in thought. It took all my willpower to grant him the space to collect his thoughts instead of pushing for an immediate response.

After a prolonged silence, he spoke with a tinge of sadness, "I miss him."

"You fucking what!?"

He rolled his eyes at my outburst and clarified, "Not Ken, he's disgusting. I mean... Terry."

"Terry? You miss your devil of a stepfather!?"

He sighed mournfully, "When our father passed away, I refused to dine in the customary room where we shared meals. This went on for months; I rejected everything and everyone. However, when our mother married Terry, I couldn't dishonor our father's memory by being impolite, so I reluctantly resumed dining with them. Upon reentering the dining room, I noticed that father's chair was no longer empty... Terry occupied it. It pained me to witness Terry assuming the role of the head of our family, but whenever I passed behind him, I secretly imagined that it was father's back sitting there. I know it sounds silly, but they had the same height. That small, foolish lie provided me with a sliver of the courage I so desperately needed at the time. So, yes, Terry may be a bastard. He stole so much from us over the years and was insufferable to work with. He even sought to harm me in the end. But somewhere amidst it all, perhaps for a fleeting moment, he managed to bring our fragmented family together. So, pathetic as it may sound, he is family."

He turned his gaze back to me, his eyes pleading for my understanding. "And as much of a disgusting being as Ken is, he is a part of your family."

Observing my sincere efforts to empathize, he reached out and gently caressed my cheek. "I don't have the right to dictate how you run your ship, but I cannot stand idly by and watch you kill a family member. And I'm not saying you shouldn't punish him, in a proper way though. Agenor, human life is precious beyond measure, it should never be toyed with."