18~New career

∞ Nyx's POV ∞

"Oh my God, what have we done again!" I muttered, as I knelt beside the bucket of water to clean myself. The pungent smell of Agenor's cigarette smoke lingered in the air. He sat behind me, resting his back against the bed. I felt a surge of confusion and shame wash over me. How could I have done what I just did? I had masturbated both of us and even kissed him without his consent. I frantically wiped off the stickiness from my body, trying to erase any evidence of what had just transpired. My face felt hot with embarrassment, but at least I was facing away from him, so he couldn't see my expression.

"You're blushing," Agenor remarked, his voice amused. I ignored him, hoping to hide my mortification. But he persisted, his smirk audible in his words. "You're still embarrassed after all we did? Or should I say, all you did?"

My body tensed up at his taunt. He was shameless, a fact that only made me feel more exposed and vulnerable.

"Can you just... stop talking?" I pleaded, hoping to put an end to the awkwardness. But Agenor just laughed, making me even more self-conscious. "Need a hand there?" he offered, his tone suggestive.

"Thank you, but I prefer to handle things on my own," I replied, attempting to maintain my composure. However, I was inwardly embarrassed as I fumbled with the water in my hands, almost spilling it. "If you don't mind, could you please look away?" I requested, feeling increasingly self-conscious as he chuckled at my predicament.

"Of course," he acquiesced, his gaze still fixated on me. I couldn't help but feel like he was mocking me.

"I hope you understand now, Nyx. If you need anything, just let me know. Don't go asking others for help," he advised me.

"Let you know?" I retorted, frustration and resentment bubbling within me. "Every time I've talked to you, I've ended up covered in blood or doing something immoral!"

He blew smoke in my direction and I glared at him. I hastily grabbed my pants and struggled to pull them on, conscious of his eyes on me.

As I crouched down, trying to maintain my dignity, I almost lost my balance. I was relieved when I finally managed to pull up my pants, feeling frazzled and disorientated. I needed to clear my head.

But something had changed between us earlier, after we had... done what we did. His expression had been different, almost vulnerable. It was intense, and I found myself drawn to him in a way I never had been before. And then, without thinking, I kissed him.

As I sat there, flustered and embarrassed, I desperately searched for something, anything to divert my attention from the half-naked man sitting in front of me with his untied pants. Finally, my gaze fell upon my shirt lying on the ground. I quickly grabbed it and tried to compose myself, but I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye.

He spoke up, breaking the awkward silence. 'If you need anything', he had offered. I wanted to scream, 'Yes! Let me go!' But instead, I summoned all the courage I had and spoke up. "Actually... I do have something to ask," I said.

His eyes met mine. "Really?" he asked.

I took a deep breath and said, "I want to work."

He frowned at me. "Work? On Martina?" he asked incredulously.

I nodded. "Yes."

He shook his head, as if trying to clear his thoughts. "Nyx, where is this coming from?" he asked.

"I can't just sit here doing nothing all day," I said, my voice gaining confidence. "I hate being a freeloader. I need to earn my keep."

"But you don't need to do anything."

I bristled at his words. "I appreciate that, but I need to earn my own way," I said firmly. "I don't know what the future holds, but for now, I'm on this ship and I need to contribute."

"You're mine, Nyx. You don't have to earn your bread."

"Agenor, I'm at my wit's end. The burden of my debts is suffocating me, and I simply can't go on like this. While I'm forever grateful for you saving my life, I would appreciate the chance to work and earn my keep."

Agenor's next words struck me with apprehension, "Do you have any idea who you'll be working with, or more importantly, who you'll be working for? Pirates, to be exact."

I knew that already, and the thought of relying on Agenor's charity any longer filled me with shame. I longed to leave this room without begging for his permission, but the prospect of working with pirates seemed daunting.

"This won't be like managing ships and fishermen, it'll be different," Agenor warned.

"I understand that," I replied.

"Well, since you understand. Then tell me, what services can you offer?"

My hands balled up into fists as I realized I had no useful skills to offer. I couldn't believe how useless I had become.

I responded to Agenor with a resolute and assertive tone, "Listen, I understand that I may be of no use to you, Agenor. However, I cannot simply remain idle and do nothing. This sense of weakness and worthlessness is slowly killing me."

Agenor halted his smoking and fixed his gaze upon me with his piercing gray eyes. Was my raised voice enough to provoke his anger? The mere thought of a potential conflict between us frightened and saddened me.

"I apologize for raising my voice," I spoke meekly.

"It's alright," he responded calmly, in stark contrast to my agitation.

I lowered myself to the ground in front of him, trying my best to avoid sounding confrontational. "I must admit that I lack experience in navigating a ship in the middle of the sea. My past experiences have been limited to fishing vessels, and I have never had to undertake the work myself. However, I am willing to perform any task that needs doing, even the most menial and mundane."

"So, you are content with performing tasks that may seem beneath you?" Agenor questioned.

"It is better than feeling worthless and idle," I replied.

Agenor let out a sigh before saying, "Very well. I am not sure you fully comprehend the risks associated with working among pirates, but I will allow you to try."

"Really?" I asked, incredulous at his agreement.

He nodded.

I felt a surge of joy within me. Since I've taken over my father's business, I've been working 12-hour days for years. And now, I won't be idly sitting back while someone grants me a meal. I'll be able to work and regain my dignity and independence. It wouldn't be easy, of course, as I was used to giving orders and making decisions. Now, I would be performing simple tasks. But it was work, and I was determined to do my best.

"Your captain," he teased, "doesn't even get a thank you?"

"Thank you," I replied, smiling. "I'll do my best-"

Before I could finish, Agenor grabbed my chain, yanking me forward, his face inches away from mine. His eyes sparkled with mischief as he said in a low, deep voice.

"I want to know just how much you appreciate the chance to work under me."

∞∞∞