6~Desperation

∞ Author's POV ∞

"ACE!", the summoning echoed.

More voices on Martina took up the call and shouted, "Ace!", "Ace, wake the fuck up!", "The captain's calling"...

Moments later, Ace walked into his captain's cabin. He was a tall man in his late twenties, with handsome looks and straight black silky hair. He held a strong figure with impressive scars on his bare arms that screamed years of experience in piracy. He walked in sleepily while carrying a small lantern.

"Captain. Dawn hasn't woken up yet-"

"Get in here, take a look at him."

Ace frowned as he took the scene in front of him. Nyx was sitting motionless on the floor with his back against the wall and Agenor's hand on his neck, preventing his head from drooping. Ace walked towards them and the closer he got; the ghastlier Nyx's expression appeared to be. His skin was pale, his eyes hooded yet unblinking, and his lips were slightly open.

He set the lantern on the floor beside them and knelt next to them. Then, he held Nyx's right wrist and remained silent for a moment, feeling his pulse. He frowned in concern and checked the pulse again.

"What's wrong with him?", Agenor demanded.

"I'm not sure..."

He checked Nyx's eyes, lifting his eyelids one after the other with his free hand.

"Spit it out Ace, why is he like this?", Agenor asked with a hint of desperation that surprised his friend.

Ace moved his hand to press two fingers on the side of Nyx's neck. Checking his pulse once more before answering his captain

"His heartbeat is very faint. He's physically conscious, but mentally, I'm not certain-"

"What does that mean? He's either conscious or not! Quit fucking around and check his pulse again!"

"Captain, I already did. He's breathing but his Qi is very slow, barely flowing"

"What the fuck does that even mean?"

"He's dying"

Distress replaced anger in Agenor's look, "What? That can't be-"

"His body is extremely weak. His energy isn't flowing properly. I've only seen this a couple of times before when sailors barely survived a shark attack. They were badly hurt. Most of them eventually died of shock and blood loss"

"Un-fucking-believable! Do you see sharks in this area? Or in my room, Ace?"

"Something must've happened-"

"He didn't leave this room. Didn't even walk the plank or anything, so how would he even see a shark?"

"It's not about sharks per say. I think it's more about experiencing an intensive shock or something"

Ace looked at Nyx and let his eyes travel his body. The young man was topless, but another detail caught his attention

"Why are his pants around his ankles?"

Agenor glared at him. This wasn't the time to discuss unimportant details. Nyx wasn't well. Ace had even said that he was.... Dying. Agenor stared at Nyx and felt very frustrated, along with an emotion he was quite unfamiliar with; guilt.

He reached forward and tapped him on the cheek again while calling his name and ordering him to talk.

Ace watched his captain curiously. Then he noticed a familiar dagger lying beside them. He stared at it and his eyes widened in disbelief.