35 ~ Tainted allegations

∞ Nyx's POV ∞

I paused abruptly as his left arm held me tight. "Breathe, Nyx. What happened?" Agenor's concerned gaze inspected my face. His eyes then narrowed, and he added, "Is it Ken?"

Taken aback by his question, I looked at him in surprise. He knew about Ken!?

I tried to speak, but my heavy panting prevented me from doing so. Instead, I nodded. The commotion spread from the hull to the deck, encircling us. I turned to face our aggressors.

Agenor stood by my side, while Ace positioned himself a few steps ahead of us. He ensured that none of the pirates emerging from the hull like bulls would hit us, quite possibly saving their lives from Agenor's wrath.

"What the hell's happening?" "What's going on, storm-boy?" "Something's happening! What the fuck's happening?"

"Hey! We had a show back there!" Pin pushed his way through the crowd, his frown etched sharply on his face. Among the crew, this pirate was the shortest, but he compensated for it with the coldest personality I had ever encountered. This man had no principles; he would switch sides in an instant if it benefited him. The only things he respected were bets and challenges.

He berated everyone for disrupting the ongoing bet, "What the fuck is wrong with you shit-heads! Tren finally landed a blow on Baril! We had a fight going on, so get in line, damn it!"

"Shut up, Pin. This is more interesting!"

"You!" Chow pointed at me, his other hand covering his nose. "I'll end you!"

Ken limped over to his friend. He silently stood by his side, slightly behind him, though. He held his ribs with one hand and dragged his leg with the other, with the dagger still nested in it.

"What is it, Chow?" "Your nose is uglier than usual, mate", "He's bleeding, you idiot. Who got you, Chow?" ...

Baril emerged, parting the crowd to step towards the center, brandishing a knife. Tren followed right behind him, peaking under a cauldron on his head, presumably for protection from Baril's large blade.

"Bloody hell!" Baril exclaimed, eyeing the blood dripping from Ken's leg. "What the fuck is happening on this damn ship!?"

"Ask the pretty boy", someone suggested. I gritted my teeth in distaste to being called a boy, especially in this large crowd. But I had more pressing matters to deal with. For instance, avoiding getting killed, would be nice.

Baril's bulging eyes found mine, "Hey, why the fuck should I be asking you, boy!?"

Everyone kept worrying about their comrades, Ken and Chow. A tremor ran through my knees as I realized they could all turn against me in an instant.

"He... HE DID IT!" Chow pointed at me again. "He blew my nose off! That bastard punched me! Look! Right here, I've been bleeding! He punched me!"

All eyes fixated on the two injured pirates: two blown noses, a busted lip, a daggered leg, scratched arms, and a swollen eyebrow that turned increasingly blue and swollen, likely from the cup I threw as I escaped.

The voices gradually hushed, and every gaze converged on me. My breath, which had just started to calm, accelerated once again. Unconsciously, I lowered my head slightly, attempting to hide behind my drenched hair. Their penetrating stares weighed heavily on me, and I felt my resolve waver. Taking a step back, I contemplated running towards the sea, only to be stopped by Agenor's left arm, firmly pressed against my lower back. It prevented my trembling body from seeking solace in the water.