PROLOGUE

Rain splattered down on the sand between their talons, their tails swayed at the same time, the barb at the end curled. Their obsidian black eyes stared down at the pale egg in front of them. A moment passed and they exchanced glances.

"Recluse," muttered one dragon, who had an odd hue of brown instead of the usual pale yellow. "Who egg is this?"

"How could I know?" Recluse snarled under his breath at the thought of another dragon disowning their offspring. His pale yellow scales gleamed under the moonlight. "I guess they didn't want it and left it to rot. How pitiful. They must have been so careless with their dragonets."

Although they were partners, Kit and Recluse never exactly had a very decent relationship with each other. Even so, Kit still believed that Recluse had a softer side of him. For some reason.

"Don't jump to conclusions, Recluse. Maybe its mother met a terrible fate while trying to fly back to her egg."

"And the father?..."

"The father probably followed the mother and didn't want to meet the same demise. Let's consider why the parents could have shown some sympathy. It's not always because they had no desire for their dragonet."

Recluse let out a heavy sigh. "Fine," he grumbled. "Here's an idea. Let's leave."

"We should probably take it." Kit, the other SandWing, scooped up the small egg with her paws and examined it, slowly rotating it in her talons. Every inch of that pale egg glowed under the light of the moons. "It doesn't have anyone to look after it. I want to raise it." She looked at the large SandWing.

"You're insane," Recluse hissed, taking a step back, folding his dark wings. He lifted his chin up and stared down at her. "It's not ours. This is dragonet-napping!"

"It's not dragonet-napping. It's alone. If we leave it, it'll die out here. So, I'm taking it. You don't have to raise it. I'll take better care of it than you ever will, anyway." Kit lifted her head and shoved past Bone as she held the egg tightly. Her barbed tail dragged on the sand behind her as she walked.

"OKAY! Fine!" Recluse yelled as he ran after Kit, who was already ahead of him by several feet. "I'll help you take care of it!"

------------------------------------------------------------

A SandWing cried out and dug under the sand to find her precious egg.