CHAPTER 1

A lizard skittered across the stone floors. It ran as a dragonet messed around with it. She knew it was small and couldn't get away from her that easily.

She finally pounced on it and picked it up by its skinny, green tail.

"Got you." She immediately shoved the lizard in her mouth, its tiny tail poking out as the rest of its body scrambled in her mouth in an attempt to pull itself out.

"Dawn!" Kit yelled. "Can you be quiet, please? Recluse is trying to sleep!"

"Sorry, mother!" Dawn looked around after finishing her sentence. The flaming torches flickered in their home. Sometimes, she wondered if the place would catch on fire.

I should talk to Mother.

With that thought, she swallowed her lizard and trotted over to Kit. She folded in her wings and tried not to disturb her father's slumber.

"Dinner smells delightful, Mother," she said quietly. She blinked with her dark eyes and inhaled the aroma of the roasted cow. Her pale pink scales glittered off of the torches on the walls.

"Thank you!" Kit said happily. She turned her head half way 'round to look at Dawn.

"No problem. How are you?"

"Great. Thanks for asking. How about you, darling?"

Kit sometimes called Dawn ' darling .' A few times, Kit had said it in front of Dawn's father, Recluse, which made him stare at her mother like she was crazy.

"I'm good. Are there any new scrolls yet?" She asked. That made her think of every scroll she had in the scroll room for her to read, and now she had to urge to go and read them.

"Nope, not yet. But I'll always tell you when there's more." Kit booped Dawn's snout with her talon.

"Okay," Dawn said. A little smile spreas across her face. She loved Kit, even though she can be super embarrassing and weird sometimes.

"Will you do me a huge favor?" Kit said.

"Sure," Dawn responded.

"Will you wake up your father for me?" Cacti asked as she turned back around to continue cooking up that cow she caught.

"Yup." Dawn turned herself around and trotted over to her father's room, where she found him laying down with his tail over his snout.

His snoring always annoyed her, because it always kept her awake at night.