CHAPTER 7

Dawn took a few steps back. The LeafWing king was scarier than she'd imagined. He had a HUGE scar running across one of his eyes, and his talons were stained to the brim with blood. His glowing yellow eyes scanned around at the dragons as his enormous wings flicked. Even Bone took a few steps back, looking up at the unnaturally huge dragon in front of him.

"WELL?" The LeafWing king snarled and looked at Aspen. "WHAT have you brought here?"

"ASPEN?!" Cicada yelled and also looked at him. "You're prince of the LeafWings?!"

"Ohhhh boy, we have a long way to go.." Aspen mumbled, searching around nervously. "It's a long story. I can't tell right now..."

Dawn gulped in fear. Aspen is the prince of the LeafWings, she thought. The guy we just met...

"Son.." The LeafWing king walked over to his son and lifted his chin with one talon. "Were you keeping back your royalty to the outside world again? Be honest."

"Yes, Father," Aspen replied. "I was."

"Hm." His father stared him down for five seconds straight before hitting him hard on the side of his head with his tail. He turned around to step back away from him.

"Ow.." Aspen rubbed where his father hit him.

"Don't whine," the king demanded, turning his head around to stare at him. "While you are my son, you will HANDLE IT. Now, bring along your friends. I would enjoy it if they stayed in a cell full of poison ivy for the rest of their lives."

"Father, they haven't done anythi-"

"BOY! YOU WILL LISTEN TO YOUR FATHER, AND BRING YOUR STUPID FRIENDS ALONG! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?! NOW, COME, LIKE I SAID, OTHERWISE THERE'S GOING TO BE CONSEQUENCES WHEN WE GET BACK HOME!!!!!"

Dawn flinched. She'd heard Bone yell once when Cacti and him were arguing, but she was absolutely terrified of the kings yell. It sounded like an entire crowd yelling at you at once, and you can't stop it until they're done screaming. She looked at Aspen, and immediately, she saw little tears starting to form in his eyes in fear of his father.

"Yes, Father.... I-I'll bring them."

"Was that a stutter?.."

"No.. It wasn't, Father."

"Good. Now, bring them along, boy. We have a long walk." He turned his pointy snout toward his wife, the dragon that wanted to talk to Aspen. "And you," he snarled. "We're having a talk when we get home."

The light green dragon gulped, like she knew exactly what was going to happen when they got home.

Dawn thought they were going to die. She shivered at the thought of losing Bone and Cacti. And her friends, too. In fact, she was a little worried about Aspen.

But she didn't know if Aspen was manipulating them and he was actually like his father, so she wasn't as worried about him as she was with the others.

"Well?" The LeafWing king said as he slightly turned his head around as he walked. "Bring them. Stab them if you have to to keep them moving."

He then added,

"They'll be great decorations as heads on my walls."