CHAPTER 5

They had spent hours just walking. Dawn's legs were starting to ache, and she could tell every single time Bone took a step, his legs hurt, too, because he was carrying Cacti on his back. She had fallen asleep.

"We're getting super close," Cicada announced. "There's just two passageways that I'm not sure which we came from. Allgazer," she turned her head toward the NightWing dragonet. "I'm counting on you to remember."

"I believe it was the . . . right one," Allgazer responded.

"Thanks." Cicada turned to the right and continued walking. And, of course, everybody else followed. But Bone almost toppled over as they turned because Cacti almost fell off of his back.

Cicada turned her head slowly, and a rock that was blocking the light started to appear overhead. Dawn got shivers. Green light flooded the hall as they got closer. It was pretty scary at first until Cicada and Allgazer exited, then Dawn. Her jaw dropped as Bone exited behind her.

An entire forest. Full of green, full of life. Birds were chirping and flying around freely. Tiny little lizards were crawling up trees, and flowers and bushes were scattered everywhere.

But yet, Cicada acted like it was just another place to go.

"Hurry," she whispered. "We need to leave before we get caught in it. Stay quiet."

Cacti rubbed her eyes with her paws. "Caught in what?"

"The battle." Cicada started to walk along the vine-covered structures that were walls surrounding the area.

Dawn looked up. The walls were nothing like the beautiful forest. They were dark. The vines all rotted, and large, skinny dragons were perched on the edge, holding spears and wearing heavy armor. Now, she understood why Cicada was right next to the walls.

Cicada yanked Dawn's head down. "Don't make eye contact. They feel fear."

Dawn nodded. They continued walking.

Walking until the large roar of a dragon was heard. Dawn, Bone, and Cacti looked up. A huge venus flytrap shot out of the trees violently, holding a green dragon halfway inside. Blood was pouring down the stem of the flytrap as it was slowly starting to devour the dragon's legs. The dragon flapped its leaf-like wings in unbearable pain.

Another dragon, one of a very dark green, almost black at the top, flew out of the trees and made his way toward the flytrap. The dragon was extremely large. He stopped in front of the flytrap, snarling. His tail lashed as something golden shone on his head.

He flew a little closer, and the flytrap opened its mouth a little bit. The dragon stuck in it immediately dashed upwards. He beat his wings as hard as he could to fly away from the dark dragon.

The dark dragon caught up with the other in no time, and he snatched his tail and dragged him down toward his height. He quickly dug his claws into his wings and shredded them. The dragon yelped in pain and fell. The venus flytrap opened its mouth really wide, and as soon as the dragon hit it, it snapped its mouth shut. Screams echoed and then stopped as a river of blood flowed down into the trees. It was like the larger one had this planned. Dawn shivered, traumatized.

'That, there," Cicada whispered, pointing a talon. "Is the LeafWing king. He's really rude and really strict. I'm glad we're not LeafWings. Otherwise, we'd have to deal with his careless behavior. But, we need to get going."

Cicada continued walking.

Dawn felt like she was about to fall over. She was so tired. Her legs ached and ached to the point where it was unbearable. But, to stay safe, she had to trust Cicada because she knew exactly where they were going.

She just hoped that Cicada was leading them the right way and not into a villains talons.